none
Site View Setup RRS feed

• Question

• I just purchased the new Expression version 4. When I open files "Site View" does not show my current folder, it only shows a default folder that I don't use. Is there anyway to point "Site View" to a specific folder?
    TKOP - BesttechComputing.com
    Monday, August 8, 2011 5:01 AM

Answers

All replies

• ???

Site View opens to whatever folder you defined as the folder with that site name. It's somewhat unclear what, exactly, you're asking. What do you mean by your "current folder?" Current where? In the Folder List? In Windows Explorer?

When you use Site|Open Site, as you should be doing, you are presented with a list of the sites that you have defined to that date. If you wish to define a new site, use Site|Open Site and browse to the folder you wish to designate as the local root of the new site. Thenceforth, when you use Site|Open Site, that site will appear in the list.

If you are not seeing the folder you expect to see when you open a site, it is probably because you browsed to the wrong folder when you were defining the site. AFAIK, once defined, a site name remains attached to the folder initially designated for it.

BTW, I notice that you used the phrase, "when I open files..." You are opening a site first, are you not? You should not use File|Open to open a file to work on it. EW has no managed site context for that file in that case, which will lead to an indeterminate folder being displayed in Site View. (I just tested this by opening a file without opening a site first, and that is precisely what happens.) Use Site|Open Site to open the site first, then open working files from the Folder List.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, August 8, 2011 7:24 AM
  • If you try and open a site that EW does not consider a site i.e. just a folder without the little blue globe on it, EW will open the default My Web Sites folder. This will occasionally happen if I have opened a site in an earlier version of EW. Somehow the little blue globe goes missing. What I do in this case, is right click on the folder that should be a web and select convert to subsite. I can then open the site again in EW 4 with no problems.

pat

Pat Geary - Microsoft MVP

Expression  Web Tutorials & Templates | Expression Web Blog | Migrating from FrontPage to Expression
     - Free EW Community Toolbar - Free Site Templates

Monday, August 8, 2011 11:07 AM
  • Thanks for the explanation. I usually use EW to work on my webpages offline then upload them. That is why I am trying to point site view to a folder on my hard drive instead of a folder on a server like you're discussing. I didn't have any problem with this when I used EW 3.
    Monday, August 8, 2011 4:03 PM
  • So were you able to go to Site > Open Site and browse to the site on your hard drive and open it?

Pat

Pat Geary - Microsoft MVP

Expression  Web Tutorials & Templates | Expression Web Blog | Migrating from FrontPage to Expression
     - Free EW Community Toolbar - Free Site Templates

• Marked as answer by TKOP Monday, August 8, 2011 5:27 PM
    Monday, August 8, 2011 4:30 PM
  • I don't use Site > Open, I always just use Open...

This allows me to open a webpage from my hard drive and makes changes offline then upload the changes.

Site > Open does work to open pages on my host's server, but then I am working live right? Making changes live?

Monday, August 8, 2011 4:38 PM
  • Folks were not talking about opening a folder on the hosts' server.  Site -> Open should be used when you open your local copy of your site, too.  In fact, since editing live is generally bad practice (and you are describing editing locally, so you probably agree), most often Site -> Open is used to open a local site on your PC.

You should have a local copy of your site, open and edit it as a site, and publish changes up to your hosted site.

Monday, August 8, 2011 4:47 PM
  • OK that makes sense. Thanks everyone for your input!
    Monday, August 8, 2011 5:27 PM