none
Beginner guide to using SDK, Help Please! (Image subtraction) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am using the Kinect for a final project but I'm having a great deal of difficulty just getting everything started. I have 1.6 SDK installed, and even installed OpenNI 2 and Nite2. The demos work fine but I want to start working on my own things. I have experience coding in java and MATLAB but C# and the Visual Studio IDE is something really new to me..

I am trying to get the kinect to discover some simple gestures such as ducking (image subtraction would do). I don't think this is very hard to do, I can do it in MATLAB with video feed in a few minutes. Could someone please guide me int he right direction for all this? I am embarassed to mention how long I've been attempting this. A thorough guide on what code to edit would be amazing right about now. PLEASE HELP

Thank you in advance.

Saturday, February 9, 2013 9:48 AM

Answers

• The new 1.7 SDK includes samples that demonstrate using Kinect with MATLAB or OpenCV. You might want to install the update and look into them.

John | Kinect for Windows development team

Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:38 PM

All replies

• First of all, you should uninstall other third party SDK's that may interfere with the Kinect SDK functionality, mainly the drivers. There are known issues.

For a getting started guide, you might want to have a look at the QuickStart video tutorials. These cover the basics of what the Kinect for Windows SDK can provide in term of data. How you process and use the data will be up to you. Gestures are an ongoing requested feature, but currently it not a function of the SDK.

http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/KinectQuickstart

Gestures can be a matter of using the skeletal data or there are more complex gesture engines. There are many projects that can do gesture recognition that extend the functionality. There is also a sample call Basic Interactions-WPF.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 7:10 PM
  • If you have no idea about C# you should first start learning with some books. For kinect there's a book that helped me a lot in my beginnings.

"start here learn the kinect api"

I hope that's helpful!

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:03 PM
  • I am agree with Darthdia. I use that book too. Eventhough I have used C# for quite sometime but some practical things like the use of pointers, events, delegates etc have never been used before.  His explanation is clear and easy to grasp.
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 5:38 PM
  • First of all, you should uninstall other third party SDK's that may interfere with the Kinect SDK functionality, mainly the drivers. There are known issues.

For a getting started guide, you might want to have a look at the QuickStart video tutorials. These cover the basics of what the Kinect for Windows SDK can provide in term of data. How you process and use the data will be up to you. Gestures are an ongoing requested feature, but currently it not a function of the SDK.

http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/KinectQuickstart

Gestures can be a matter of using the skeletal data or there are more complex gesture engines. There are many projects that can do gesture recognition that extend the functionality. There is also a sample call Basic Interactions-WPF.

As Carmine is pointing out their have been clear difficulties in the past using open ni with Kinect sdk on the same physical machine (excluding virtual machines here recently with v1.6 sdk). If you wish to run both on the same physical hardware you can virtualize the Kinect sdk and its drivers because it now supports virtual machines and run open ni separately on the host OS (Kinect sdk might lock use of the hardware while its in use though by your program so you would have to do tests in kinect sdk and open ni seperately).

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://www.computerprofessions.co.nr

• Edited by The Thinker Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:36 PM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:34 PM
  • Alias, I can understand the problem, however it looks like you know your way around MATLAB, so a possible solution for you to do what your looking for is to install the EMGU CV wrapper, this provides many of the graphic functions such can logical image processing, for example running averages, clipping, subtraction and binary and blurring.

It can be found at http://www.emgu.com/wiki/index.php/Code_Reference

Just go to the download section for the pre-built code or source, and the tutorials for help getting started and samples.

Hope it helps some. George

P.S If you have trouble getting started here is some pointers,

1) use the Kinect SDK as shown in the QuickStart tutorials to get an image frame,

2) then convert the image frame to a Bitmap,

3) you can convert the bitmap to a EMGU CV image object (image<bgr, byte>) and your on your way.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:17 AM
  • The new 1.7 SDK includes samples that demonstrate using Kinect with MATLAB or OpenCV. You might want to install the update and look into them.

John | Kinect for Windows development team

Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:38 PM