none
How Do I Add Real-time Input Component to .ASPX Site? RRS feed

• Question

• I help maintain an .ASPX Internet site for a local County government.  We've been asked to add a real-time updating area to the Road Department's webpage.  I'm at a loss how to do it.  Any help would be appreciated. 

The scenerio, Road Supervisors need to be able to post current conditions, road closures and emergency information for the public's benefit.  The ideal situation would be for them to edit a structured Word or Excel file and have it automatically update a component on the Roads webpage.

I tried an include but that requires an intervention on our part for it to be updated, and at least in all my tests that has been the case.  The need to update occurs often at night and on weekends so it must not require intervention.  I've Googled until I'm cross-eyed and haven't figured out the best way.  I'm not a programmer, but wonder if the C# Response.WriteFile is what I really need.  How would I go about adding that kind of code to my .aspx page?  or is that the right way to approach this issue?

Your ideas and input would be MUCH appreciated, and if need be I can post a link to the page where I've been testing an include that doesn't update automatically.

Thanks in advance,  JudyAC

With appreciation, Judy Crawford
    Monday, May 9, 2011 6:50 PM

Answers

• How about a lightweight Content Management System like ContentSeed?

Some of our clients use it to update the content on their sites. I don't know how much is invloved in each update, but it should be simple. It's just like working in a word processor, but they can do it anywhere, through the browser, with no software installed locally. And, most importantly, they can't screw up the site.

"If I had asked my customers what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse." Henry Ford
    • Marked as answer by JudyCrawford Thursday, May 26, 2011 11:42 PM
    Monday, May 9, 2011 6:58 PM

All replies

• How about a lightweight Content Management System like ContentSeed?

Some of our clients use it to update the content on their sites. I don't know how much is invloved in each update, but it should be simple. It's just like working in a word processor, but they can do it anywhere, through the browser, with no software installed locally. And, most importantly, they can't screw up the site.

"If I had asked my customers what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse." Henry Ford
    • Marked as answer by JudyCrawford Thursday, May 26, 2011 11:42 PM
    Monday, May 9, 2011 6:58 PM
  • Judy,

You need to be a programmer (create a login to a page where the updated content is entered into a database by the person in charge of updating it, and display the contents from that database on the public page), or to use a Content Management system that can work with an asp.net page.  ContentSeed can do that.  Note that it's not free.

Monday, May 9, 2011 9:09 PM
  • We have opted to go with ContentSeed.  It appears to be exactly what we need and it is realatively inexpensive.  I've downloaded, but not yet implemented.  Just wanted to thank you both for your help and recommendations.  The nifty thing about CountentSeed is that it doesn't have the database requirement behind it that most content management tools do.  We needed something lightweight and easily managed.  Trust that this will be the tool and once we get it implement it will be user friendly.   Thanks,
    With appreciation, Judy Crawford
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 11:42 PM