none
How to rename Form1.cs tab RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When tried to create a new project, the default value of the form is From1.cs and Form1.cs [design]. Since I wanted to rename the form1.cs to MyProject.cs, I right clicked on the form1.cs in the solution explorer and tried to renamed it. I saw that it changed the name everywhere except on the tabs. Could you tell me how to rename the tabs also so that they are inline with the classes they represent? Thank you.

Sunday, June 27, 2010 7:15 PM

Answers

• It changes names on Tabs too. Which version of visual studio are you using ? Have you tried Closing and re-opening those tabs? names on tabs are not maintained separately. They are merely file names.

Here's my screenshot. Changes took place at all places including Tabs as soon as I was done with Rename. I'm using VS2010 on Windows 7 32bit.

Thanks

Quizwith.NET is now open for everyone !

Living on Earth may be expensive, but did you know that it includes a free trip around the sun? Isn't that worth it?
    • Marked as answer by Helen Zhou Friday, July 2, 2010 7:26 AM
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 7:39 PM
  • hmm.. out of clue now. wait while someone more experienced replays.

You should have posted in Visual Studio Editor forums though.. wait while they move your thread.

Thanks

Living on Earth may be expensive, but did you know that it includes a free trip around the sun? Isn't that worth it?
    • Marked as answer by Helen Zhou Friday, July 2, 2010 7:27 AM
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 8:26 PM
  • Hi howdy,

It also works on my side(vs2010).

But hope this post helps you : http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vbide/thread/9a9c0dbd-604f-42d7-9282-7c028b3139e4

Sincerely,
    Helen Zhou

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:12 AM

All replies

• It changes names on Tabs too. Which version of visual studio are you using ? Have you tried Closing and re-opening those tabs? names on tabs are not maintained separately. They are merely file names.

Here's my screenshot. Changes took place at all places including Tabs as soon as I was done with Rename. I'm using VS2010 on Windows 7 32bit.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by Helen Zhou Friday, July 2, 2010 7:26 AM
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 7:39 PM
  • Hi, I am using Visual C# 2008. It changes the name on the Solutions Explorer, but not on the designer view and code view tabs. By the way, could you tell me how you copy and pasted part of the screen, in your response? Thank you for having taken a look at my question.
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 7:48 PM
  • Have you tried Closing and re-opening those files in tabs?
    Thanks

Sunday, June 27, 2010 7:54 PM
  • Hi, I tried to close the tabs and open them again, it did not change it. I happen to observe that in the windows explorer, when I checked the file names under the Project name, I still see three files with Form1 name--Form1.cs, Form1.Designer.cs, and Form1.resx. Probably that is the reason the tab names are different from actual classes' names. If you could tell me how you cut and pasted part of the screen shot, I can do the same and show it to you, what I meant by tab names. Thank you.
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 8:04 PM
  • oh, it means rename operation wasn't completed as it should have.

are you starting Visual Studio as Administrator ? [ Right Click executable/shortcut | Run as Administrator ]

Thanks

Sunday, June 27, 2010 8:08 PM
  • Yes, I right clicked on visual c# 2008 icon and selected Run as Administrator. It still did not work. :-(
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 8:17 PM
  • hmm.. out of clue now. wait while someone more experienced replays.

You should have posted in Visual Studio Editor forums though.. wait while they move your thread.

Thanks

Sunday, June 27, 2010 8:26 PM
  • Thank you for trying. I will post it on Visual Studio Editor forums. Have a good day.
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 8:30 PM
  • Hi howdy,

It also works on my side(vs2010).

But hope this post helps you : http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vbide/thread/9a9c0dbd-604f-42d7-9282-7c028b3139e4

Sincerely,
    Helen Zhou

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:12 AM