none
Migration of huge code base(C#, C++. C++/CLI): Whether to migrate to VS2015 or VS2017?

Question

• Dear All,

We have a huge code base with lot of solutions(.sln) and mixture of languages (C#, C++, C++/CLI).

Currently all the developers & build machines use VS 2013 Update 5 along with TFS 2015 for managing the code base.

We evaluated VS2015 and we could see we need to have changes in many of our tools and extensions for making our work space ready. Also the code analysis with FxCop we have to migrate to Roslyn Analyzers.

Now VS2017 also released with new Roslyn and new IDE features.

Please share if faced issues in migrating projects/solutions from VS2013 to VS2017?

Let me know your suggestion on whether to migrate to VS2015 or VS2017 at this point of time?

Also share in case if you know any tools which can help in this task.

Thanks

Basanth

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 9:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Basanth,

At this point VS 2017 is not yet final release (RTM), it's only Release Candidate 3 (RC3), and still have bugs and issues.

The release date of VS 2017 hasn't been announced yet, but since it is a much better version than VS 2015 (new features, modular setup, performance improvements, etc.) I wouldn't recommend to migrate to VS 2015 when VS 2017 will be released in the next months.

I would try VS 2017 RC3 to find out what kind of issues / changes you get, and start adjusting to them (or report bugs if you find them). Then, when VS 2017 is RTM you can migrate all the team having resolved all the issues in advance.

Your VS 2013 projects can be:

- Round-trips seamlessly: they can be opened by different VS versions without changes

- Requires behavioral modifications to round-trip: they require a small change to be opened in VS 2017, but can be opened too in VS 2013

- Requires upgrade: in this case you may want to use a different project file name, one for VS 2013 and other for VS 2017 until you migrate to VS 2017 RTM.

- Not supported: hopefully you don't have projects unsupported in VS 2017

But the code files shouldn't require many changes, only the project file. And even if the code files require different code for VS 2013 and VS 2017, you try to use code that works both with VS 2017 and VS 2013, or if not possible you can use conditional compilation and remove it when VS 2017 is final release.

My portal and blog about VSX: http://www.visualstudioextensibility.com<br/> Twitter: https://twitter.com/VSExtensibility<br/> MZ-Tools productivity extension for Visual Studio: https://www.mztools.com

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 11:51 AM
  • I have been developing VS projects for many years.

I have noticed some problems when moving to the latest VS version.

I have a lot of C++ winforms apps which don't always display the design view in VS.

MS also decided to kill off XNA which I eventually got around.

n.Wright

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 10:51 PM
  • Thanks so much for Carlos J. Quintero and n.Wright to provide the useful opinion.

Hi Bachuu,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

You can have a look at the replies from Carlos J. Quintero and n.Wright, when we try to upgrade the project, there are some points that we need to think about.

For the stable, the VS 2015 may be better for your solutions. It is a RTM version and have fixed lots of known issues after the RTM version was released.

For the performance, new function, it should be VS 2017 RC. But the RTM version of VS 2017 have not release now, you can pay attentions to the Microsoft official site and blogs, they will share us the latest information in time.

In my opinion, I will have a try with VS 2015 to migrate. There have some upgrade guide documents that you can a look at: Porting, Migrating, and Upgrading Visual Studio Projects and How to: Upgrade Visual C++ Projects to Visual Studio 2015

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 2, 2017 2:19 AM