Error : "This View is empty"

Question

• I am using the Windows 8 Developer Preview. I restarted the system and after logging in back, i am not getting the windows 8 start screen.

I see a message "This view is empty" on a totally green colored background. Is there any way to get the start screen back?

the key combination windows+E opens up the windows explorer and system works fine after then. But, again, on pressing windows key, the start screen doesn't appear.

Friday, December 23, 2011 6:22 PM

Answers

• i am not getting the windows 8 start screen.

Looks like it is empty.   So try putting something in it?   E.g. what does an Apps Search give you?   Type something, find something and pin it.   Does that make a tile show?

In fact, I guess there is something more wrong with yours than just not having any tiles--FWIW I have a title line consisting of Start (on the left) and some kind of an access control on the right.  I don't know how I would lose those or where they come from...

Here could be a list of your tiles:

cd %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

dir/od/tw  Tile*

but I don't know how those could be used as anything more than diagnostics for you.   E.g. if it appeared that you managed to change something using a Search and Pin/Unpin  procedure, check to see if any of those files have a corresponding timestamp...

I appear to have found a deficiency in the file system.   E.g. I can change my Start Screen  but not get an appropriate report about my changes.   Worse, I can actually access those files and not get an appropriate report about those actions.  That would severely reduce the value of  dir  as diagnostics.   Perhaps I will see them after a boot.

Next time I change it I will be running ProcMon.   That would be a good idea for you too.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by moheetB Saturday, December 24, 2011 6:49 PM
    Friday, December 23, 2011 9:19 PM
  • Hello MoheetB,

I would try a repair of the system to see if that helps.

Pressing F8 at boot takes you straight into the menu where you can select your recovery options.
    Click on Troubleshoot and go to Advanced tools.
    And try a repair of the system.

If a repair didn't help, I believe you should try a refresh of your PC.
    The refresh should help to get back your desktop.

When you refresh your PC, your files and personalization settings won't change.

Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
    Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

Follow the steps below to restore your PC:
    Enter the Start screen
    Click Control Panel
    Click General on the left column
    Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.
    Once the refresh has finished, test to see if you see the desktop.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    • Marked as answer by moheetB Saturday, December 24, 2011 6:48 PM
    Saturday, December 24, 2011 4:19 PM

All replies

• Friday, December 23, 2011 6:23 PM
  • i am not getting the windows 8 start screen.

Looks like it is empty.   So try putting something in it?   E.g. what does an Apps Search give you?   Type something, find something and pin it.   Does that make a tile show?

In fact, I guess there is something more wrong with yours than just not having any tiles--FWIW I have a title line consisting of Start (on the left) and some kind of an access control on the right.  I don't know how I would lose those or where they come from...

Here could be a list of your tiles:

cd %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

dir/od/tw  Tile*

but I don't know how those could be used as anything more than diagnostics for you.   E.g. if it appeared that you managed to change something using a Search and Pin/Unpin  procedure, check to see if any of those files have a corresponding timestamp...

I appear to have found a deficiency in the file system.   E.g. I can change my Start Screen  but not get an appropriate report about my changes.   Worse, I can actually access those files and not get an appropriate report about those actions.  That would severely reduce the value of  dir  as diagnostics.   Perhaps I will see them after a boot.

Next time I change it I will be running ProcMon.   That would be a good idea for you too.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by moheetB Saturday, December 24, 2011 6:49 PM
    Friday, December 23, 2011 9:19 PM
  • I appear to have found a deficiency in the file system.   E.g. I can change my Start Screen  but not get an appropriate report about my changes.   Worse, I can actually access those files and not get an appropriate report about those actions.  That would severely reduce the value of  dir  as diagnostics.   Perhaps I will see them after a boot.

Yes.  More quirks learned.   All those files were updated during or after (I'm not sure which) a full shutdown.   E.g.  shutdown.exe  /s /full  from an Administrator: Command Prompt

This suggests that the first thing you should try is a full shutdown too.  Then see what state your  TileCache* files are in.   If you're lucky that might even act as a repair of them and then a repair of your Start Screen presentation.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

In fact, the timestamp I'm seeing from dir/tw would imply that it happened several minutes after my boot, so I don't know what that implies, except another confirmation that it is quirky.

Hmm...  I shouldn't have restricted my dir.   There is another file which apparently was written during the boot

Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\ExplorerStartupLog_RunOnce.etl

which makes me think that it could be all part of a delayed process.

---

Saturday, December 24, 2011 12:02 AM
  • Hello MoheetB,

I would try a repair of the system to see if that helps.

Pressing F8 at boot takes you straight into the menu where you can select your recovery options.
    Click on Troubleshoot and go to Advanced tools.
    And try a repair of the system.

If a repair didn't help, I believe you should try a refresh of your PC.
    The refresh should help to get back your desktop.

When you refresh your PC, your files and personalization settings won't change.

Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
    Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

Follow the steps below to restore your PC:
    Enter the Start screen
    Click Control Panel
    Click General on the left column
    Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.
    Once the refresh has finished, test to see if you see the desktop.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    • Marked as answer by moheetB Saturday, December 24, 2011 6:48 PM
    Saturday, December 24, 2011 4:19 PM