none
Framework 4.6 Break Sql Server Discovery RRS feed

• Question

• I was trying to get list of SQL servers available in the Network using 

System.Data.Sql.SqlDataSourceEnumerator instance = System.Data.Sql.SqlDataSourceEnumerator.Instance;
    System.Data.DataTable dataTable = instance.GetDataSources();

This used to work and bring all the servers in the network. However with .NET 4.6 this is not working anymore.
    Windows 8.1 Professional computer I was able to remove Framework 4.6 and this fixed the issue. However on Windows 10
    4.6 comes pre-installed and there is no way to uninstall it.

I have also tried SMO libraries to get list of servers and it does not work either.

DataTable servers = SmoApplication.EnumAvailableSqlServers(false);

This is not just the code I wrote. SQL Management Studio is also unable to browse server in the network. When I type
    instance names or provide IP address.

Only OSQL.EXE -L seems to work.

Monday, August 17, 2015 6:19 PM

Answers

• Hi CanHantas,

If you've confirmed this issue is caused by framework 4.6 in Win10, I would suggest you post this issue with verbose info to Microsoft Connect, http://connect.microsoft.com/

Regards, 

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 6:33 AM

All replies

• Hi CanHantas,

If you've confirmed this issue is caused by framework 4.6 in Win10, I would suggest you post this issue with verbose info to Microsoft Connect, http://connect.microsoft.com/

Regards, 

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 6:33 AM
  • Same thing happen to me on a W7 with Visual studio 2015 (.NET 4.6) and Sql Express 2014.  SQL Management Studio is unable to browse for other instances.

I tested a simple app with Sql.SqlDataSourceEnumerator.Instance.GetDataSources() and had to go back to .NET 3.5 to make it work.

I also checked another computer running the same setup but using Visual studio 2013 ( .NET 4.5) and all work well with .NET 4.5 (SQL management studio able to browse other instances and Sql.SqlDataSourceEnumerator.Instance.GetDataSources() can find list of other servers).

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 6:06 AM
  • Also seeing this here with Windows 7.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 11:33 AM