none
Can a single appX package install more than one metro style app on a machine? RRS feed

• Question

• I know it is possible to install multiple Metro style apps from a single desktop application package, but can we also do so from within an appX (metro style app)? I do not want to refer the user to the Windows store and initiate a new download and install from the Windows store. For example, can I put the data for the second metro style app in the first appX and launch it from the first metro style app?
    Friday, May 11, 2012 7:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Mo,

Looking for a little clarification on this. Are you trying to install two apps simultaneously from a single appx package or just launch another app? Could you provide a bit more detail or maybe an example of what you are trying to accomplish. If you are trying to use a file picker to launch another app take a look at this page for more details on the particular language you are using for development.

Thanks,

Jesse

• Edited by Jesse_F Sunday, May 13, 2012 9:53 PM additional information
    • Proposed as answer by Jesse_F Sunday, May 13, 2012 10:07 PM
    Sunday, May 13, 2012 9:04 PM
  • Thanks a lot Jesse. My case is the former one, to install two apps simultaneously from a single appx package. An example can be a bonus application coming along with the main app, or a software bundle, or a suite of independent metro apps. Can I have them all installed from a single appx package?

Thanks a lot

Mo

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 10:00 PM
  • Hello Mo,

If I understand you correctly, the answer would be no on this. You can only install one tile per appx package. If you are trying to install an add-on in the app, all of the code is present in the appx package to do this. You will have to offer each app on its own and have it install from its own package. You don't have to charge for every app that you offer but they do have to be offered separately. You also have the option of offering in-app purchases but this would not be the same thing as an independent app. Have a look at the page on deciding how to offer you app. This may give you some ideas on how to package your apps. I hope this clarifies the issue for you.

Thanks,

Jesse

• Proposed as answer by Jesse_F Tuesday, May 15, 2012 11:11 PM
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 11:11 PM
  • Per the App packages and deployment documentation:

Although each package can contain one or more apps, packages that contain multiple apps won't pass the Windows Store certification process.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Mo Alian Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:46 PM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:42 AM
  • Thats interesting Rob! The MSFT app for Mail/Contacts/Calender was one appx and multiple apps. Each had their own tile. How come it passed the Windows Store certification?
    Monday, May 21, 2012 12:16 PM
  • Have you found method to install two apps simultaneously from a single appx package?
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:54 AM