Sharepoint workflow add calendar appointment to outlook of creator RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm working on a workflow to handle vacation requests. The basic requirements are:

1. Task is assigned to creators manager who approves/denies the request.

2. After approved an event is created in a calendar list.

To solve this I have created two lists: A Time Off Requests list where I want users to fill in their data. And a calendar list which holds all approved requests.

I've gotten this to work with Sharepoint Designer 2013 creating a list workflow. The next thing I would love to do is to add the entry to the requestors' outlook calendar aswell. Any suggestions?

I guess the easy solution is to create a link en the "Send Email" action pointing to the event ID in the calendar list and then ask the user to click on that link? Any of you tried this in Sharepoint 2013 using the http://sharepoint/sites/yoursite/_vti_bin/owssvr.dll ? or should it be done another way now?

Thanks

Monday, March 18, 2013 3:28 PM

Answers

• Hi again,

Its always nice to have a little conversation with yourself. Anyways hopefully this can help others aswell.

Found an acceptable working solution: http://sharepointpromag.com/sharepoint-administration/sharepoint-calendar-tips

Just created a calculated column in the Calendar and lookup the field in the workflow:

This works though its still "annoying" for the user to click on a link in a mail, choose to Open the file and save it as an appointment. So if any of you have other suggestions how to solve this a better way please let me know.

Thanks

• Edited by Jan Knudsen Tuesday, March 19, 2013 10:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jan Knudsen Tuesday, March 19, 2013 2:18 PM
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 10:43 AM

All replies

• To follow up on the "create link" solution I've tried to follow this one for SP2010: http://ameyakawale.wordpress.com/2010/05/18/email-a-calendarappointment-link-using-sharepoint-workflow/ 

Basicly my link would end up being:

http://servername/Time%20Off/_vti_bin/owssvr.dll?CS=109&Cmd=Display&List={8ACF06D0-2629-46D3-AC88-CB17FC58DF62}&CacheControl=1&ID=[%Time Off Calendar:Request ID%]&Using=event.ics

After my request has been approved I receive this email where I should be able to add the appointment to my outlook calendar. However the "Calendar:Request ID" is not being converted to a number as you can see below. This Column is one I've created in the Time Off Calendar which holds the value from the Time Off Request list so I can map the two together

I've also tried to create a Variable with the value of the Request ID as an integer and insert that into the URL by using the String Builder. I receive this error which might be the root cause:

So to "solve" this I would need something else than the GUID for my list? Anyone knows how to get the list ID with a lookup?

Thanks again

• Edited by Jan Knudsen Tuesday, March 19, 2013 9:16 AM
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 9:04 AM
  • Hi again,

Its always nice to have a little conversation with yourself. Anyways hopefully this can help others aswell.

Found an acceptable working solution: http://sharepointpromag.com/sharepoint-administration/sharepoint-calendar-tips

Just created a calculated column in the Calendar and lookup the field in the workflow:

This works though its still "annoying" for the user to click on a link in a mail, choose to Open the file and save it as an appointment. So if any of you have other suggestions how to solve this a better way please let me know.

Thanks

• Edited by Jan Knudsen Tuesday, March 19, 2013 10:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jan Knudsen Tuesday, March 19, 2013 2:18 PM
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 10:43 AM
  • Hi Jan,

I know this thread is pretty old, but I'm currently implementing the same solution you refer to and I'm wondering if you managed to get the Outlook appointment link to work with "Attendees"? I was hoping to be able to grab information from the field Attendees in SharePoint, and create the Outlook event displaying all attendees in the Scheduling. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Monday, September 16, 2013 1:59 PM
  • Hi Jan,

I know this thread is pretty old, but I'm currently implementing the same solution you refer to and I'm wondering if you managed to get the Outlook appointment link to work with "Attendees"? I was hoping to be able to grab information from the field Attendees in SharePoint, and create the Outlook event displaying all attendees in the Scheduling. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks

im having the same problem with this... do u have any solution for this issue??? thanks....
    Monday, August 25, 2014 6:58 AM
  • Hi,

Lars Thomsen 

Did you find any solution to get "Attendees" in Outlook appointment link ? If you have any workarround ...please share the solution.

Thanks

Friday, September 19, 2014 6:13 AM