Implementation of "Find All References" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have to build a utility which can find the references to a function just like the .Net IDE "Find All References". In IDE when you click on a function signature and click 'Find All References" then it returns all the places from where this function has been called. I tried to search on net for any sample code for doing it but no luck. I don't have any idea how we can really achieve this. Many tools including .Net IDE, Resharper etc do it so I am guessing there must be a simple way in .Net. If anyone know about it then please share with me.

Thanks

Friday, December 14, 2007 9:39 AM

Answers

• How would you do it by hand?  Write down any steps you do or rules you would need (the algorithm).  Then make the program do the same thing.

Since it's a computer, it can do in seconds what could take a person hours.
    Monday, December 17, 2007 2:51 AM

All replies

• > Many tools including .Net IDE, Resharper etc do it so I am guessing there must be a simple way in .Net.

There is no such functionality built into .NET.  These tools are "doing their own thing".

Saturday, December 15, 2007 4:12 AM
  •  

Any link to some article which explains how to do it?

Thanks,

Sunday, December 16, 2007 3:34 AM
  • How would you do it by hand?  Write down any steps you do or rules you would need (the algorithm).  Then make the program do the same thing.

Since it's a computer, it can do in seconds what could take a person hours.
    Monday, December 17, 2007 2:51 AM