Disabling functionality in split mode?

Question

• I'm writing a synthesizer piano app, and the synthesizer part is taking up a whole lot of screen space. The synthesizer control panels are also pretty complex, making resizing them not trivial. Therefore, I'd to disable part of the app UI when the app's in split mode (i.e. using the larger area when a snapped app is active). I'd like to show a panel with a message to go fullscreen, when the user rolls up the synthesizer rack, instead of the rack itself. The piano control would continue to work either way.

Would that be OK in such a case?

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 9:53 AM

Answers

• See Certification Requirement 3.6:

3.6 Your app must use the mechanisms provided by the system for those features that have them

Your app must support a snapped layout. In landscape orientation, your app’s functions must be fully accessible when the app’s display size is 1024 x 768. Your app must remain functional when the customer snaps and unsnaps the app.

Remember that many current systems do not have greater resolution and don't support snap.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Tom Servo Wednesday, October 3, 2012 10:42 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Tom Servo Wednesday, October 3, 2012 10:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tom Servo Wednesday, October 3, 2012 10:54 AM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 3:51 AM

All replies

• i think thats good idea. look how the store it did...... *kuch*
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 10:01 AM
  • I know that it's allowed if snapped.

But I'm talking about the case, when your app gets space stolen by a snapped app. I don't want to fail certification first, before being made to spend time on the control panel resizing, because the certifier didn't like not being able to turn the knobs anymore, while snapping his favorite Twitter client.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 11:15 AM
  • See Certification Requirement 3.6:

3.6 Your app must use the mechanisms provided by the system for those features that have them

Your app must support a snapped layout. In landscape orientation, your app’s functions must be fully accessible when the app’s display size is 1024 x 768. Your app must remain functional when the customer snaps and unsnaps the app.

Remember that many current systems do not have greater resolution and don't support snap.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Tom Servo Wednesday, October 3, 2012 10:42 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Tom Servo Wednesday, October 3, 2012 10:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tom Servo Wednesday, October 3, 2012 10:54 AM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 3:51 AM
  • Oh boy...

The really big problem is that you guys aren't even selling reference hardware to developers. I'd really like to have an actual 10.1" WindowsRT tablet, so that I can design and reduce control sizes according to results in actual use, so that it may actually fit 1024 pixels wide and still stay consistent visually. The emulator doesn't cut it for this.

(For that matter, an actual ARM device would allow me to do performance testing. As it is, I'm not going to release an ARM version yet. As you can figure, a polyphonic synthesizer involves quite some math. There's kind of a difference between a Sandy Bridge and a Qualcomm S4.)

I guess WrapPanel it is.

--edit: Here's the problem in a picture:

• Edited by Tom Servo Wednesday, October 3, 2012 10:46 AM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 10:41 AM
  • Totally forgot about "Make everything bigger"... So there's no way around a flow layout panel.
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 10:53 PM