none
Working with subprojects is cumbersome, isn't it? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear reader,

so far I had one single big mpp for my project. It worked quite well (in my view)

Now management decided to split this "big" mpp into ´~40 small mpp's   to distribute planning responsibility to more persons for better planning-performance.

Because managment does not want to loose the "big-complete-view", it was told to me to use the  "import-subproject"-feature of MsProject - together with a resourcePool.mpp. A really nice feature (was told to me).

Now I realized this approach, and I see, it's a real nightmare.   If I open or close the big.mpp, I continuously have to confirm some yes-no-dialogs. If sub-project-files are occasionally stored to other directories, I get error-messages.  ..... and a lot more of pain.....

What is your experience?

• Edited by Somigur Saturday, November 19, 2016 1:34 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2016 7:40 PM

Answers

• Somigur,

Here the pros and cons of master files in Project.

The advantage of a dynamic master is that the master and subprojects are linked such that changes in either are reflected in the other (i.e. changes made at master level are reflected in the subproject(s) and vice versa). In a dynamic master the master does not actually contain the subproject files, rather, it contains pointers to each individual subproject file.

The disadvantage, and this can be a big one, is that dynamic masters are prone to corruption. You cannot rename, move, overwrite, or save off any of the files in the structure. The files should ideally all reside in the same folder on a local drive and not be operated over a network although operation over a local network does seem to work fairly well. Failure to observe these rules will eventually result in corruption of the structure. Adding a resource pool to the mix increases the probability of corruption.

Your best bet if you want to use separate project files and a separate resource pool file is to not create a dynamic master to get the "big-complete-view". Instead whenever you need to create reports or analysis of the whole structure, create a static master. To do that uncheck the "Link to Project" option in the lower right corner of the Insert Project window. That will create a new separate master file that is a snapshot in time of all the inserted subprojects. It will not be dynamic and you will need to create a new static master anytime you want to combine everything but that is easily automated with VBA.

John
    • Marked as answer by Somigur Friday, November 18, 2016 8:57 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2016 8:28 PM

All replies

• Somigur,

Here the pros and cons of master files in Project.

The advantage of a dynamic master is that the master and subprojects are linked such that changes in either are reflected in the other (i.e. changes made at master level are reflected in the subproject(s) and vice versa). In a dynamic master the master does not actually contain the subproject files, rather, it contains pointers to each individual subproject file.

The disadvantage, and this can be a big one, is that dynamic masters are prone to corruption. You cannot rename, move, overwrite, or save off any of the files in the structure. The files should ideally all reside in the same folder on a local drive and not be operated over a network although operation over a local network does seem to work fairly well. Failure to observe these rules will eventually result in corruption of the structure. Adding a resource pool to the mix increases the probability of corruption.

Your best bet if you want to use separate project files and a separate resource pool file is to not create a dynamic master to get the "big-complete-view". Instead whenever you need to create reports or analysis of the whole structure, create a static master. To do that uncheck the "Link to Project" option in the lower right corner of the Insert Project window. That will create a new separate master file that is a snapshot in time of all the inserted subprojects. It will not be dynamic and you will need to create a new static master anytime you want to combine everything but that is easily automated with VBA.

John
    • Marked as answer by Somigur Friday, November 18, 2016 8:57 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2016 8:28 PM
  • Hello John,

many many thanks for your contribution. Extremly helpfull ! ! !

Have a very nice weekend

Friday, November 18, 2016 8:58 PM
  • Somigur,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Friday, November 18, 2016 11:26 PM