Cannot sync iPod with Windows Developer Preview

Question

• To continue this discussion, I am having a similar problem, but the issue here is iTunes recognition of my iPod Touch 3rd gen. My laptop with WDP recognizes the iPod as an iPod, but it does not show up in iTunes, thus I cannot sync or update it. The solution posted above did not work, though it did help me get the device recognized by the Device Manager.
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 2:28 AM

Answers

• OK cool idea but what if  I have never installed Itunes nor will I ever install Itunes,  It worked fine for months but suddenly the ipod does not mount . . it simply says the device is not reconized,  yet it works on my linux machine and my windows 7 works fine but not in windows 8 machine. 

~Just a boy and blob in a small town world.

So I did a little thinking and took a gander in the log, and came to the conclusion. 

I recently plugged my Motorola Triumph phone into the computer via USB . . Windows 8 did its thing installing the device and mounting the device. I noticed a little tinkering to get the access to the USB drive. THE PHONE DOES NOT NEED TO BE MOUNTED.

Soooo while the phone was plugged in and the ipod was unplugged, 

Entered Device Manager 
    Removed . . . at this point I 420'd so I aplogize I don't remember the name of the services. 
    I removed/uninstalled all Emulator/ROM Android related devices 

Unplugged the phone before it tried to re-install the driver. 
    Then simply plugged the ipod in. . . refreshed the Device manager 

And before you know it there it was magically back and syncing all perrtty and stuff. LOL >-- Reminder did this without ITUNES installed . . Boooyaaa

AS for plugging the phone back in. . . I have not done this yet.

Monday, February 20, 2012 6:52 PM

All replies

• This question was split from the original question as it was not the exact same issue.

Original question: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/e1654d37-e232-4797-b146-2313d1ba6924

From 2gennano reply:

Since this is a preview of the operating system, iTunes may not work with the Windows Developer Preview.
    Try these steps, however when you start the sync don't have the device plugged in yet.
    1) Close iTunes
    2) Go to Services
    3) Stop "Apple Mobile Device" service
    4) Plug device in, wait for the 1 or 2 chimes
    5) Start "Apple Mobile Device"
    6) Open iTunes
    7) When Sync you might get an "Unable to receive data from sync services", but it should sync.

You might also check in the Apple iTunes forums to see if anyone has come up with a suggestion.

Marilyn

You Could Try My Mounter http://www.4shared.com/file/oQyYlcxw/W8DP_iPod_Mounter.html

It does the same thing but its easier

Marilyn
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 10:09 PM
  • OK cool idea but what if  I have never installed Itunes nor will I ever install Itunes,  It worked fine for months but suddenly the ipod does not mount . . it simply says the device is not reconized,  yet it works on my linux machine and my windows 7 works fine but not in windows 8 machine. 

~Just a boy and blob in a small town world.

So I did a little thinking and took a gander in the log, and came to the conclusion. 

I recently plugged my Motorola Triumph phone into the computer via USB . . Windows 8 did its thing installing the device and mounting the device. I noticed a little tinkering to get the access to the USB drive. THE PHONE DOES NOT NEED TO BE MOUNTED.

Soooo while the phone was plugged in and the ipod was unplugged, 

Entered Device Manager 
    Removed . . . at this point I 420'd so I aplogize I don't remember the name of the services. 
    I removed/uninstalled all Emulator/ROM Android related devices 

Unplugged the phone before it tried to re-install the driver. 
    Then simply plugged the ipod in. . . refreshed the Device manager 

And before you know it there it was magically back and syncing all perrtty and stuff. LOL >-- Reminder did this without ITUNES installed . . Boooyaaa

AS for plugging the phone back in. . . I have not done this yet.

Monday, February 20, 2012 6:52 PM