Are .NET 2.0 applications supported in Win8?

Question

• Hi, 

I have a .NET Windows Forms application that is built for .NET 2.0. I tried running it on Win8 and I am said by the Win8 that my app requests .NET 3.5.1. I have the standalone .NET 2.0 installer, but when I try to apply it to the machine, I am again said that .NET 3.5.1 is required. So, why Win8 does not support .NET 2.0 applications? In other words, is this is an issue or it is something deliberate? Last, and probably most important: do you have plans to change it in the final version? It would be nice if one and the same application built agains .NET 2.0 can run on all your Windows, given the fact that Windows Forms did not get significant changes from .NET 2.0 to .NET 3.5.1 (4.0).

Thanks,

Nikolay

Friday, October 28, 2011 1:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• .Net 3.5.1 is the .Net 2.0 CLR plus other libraries.  This is what you need to run your .Net 2.0 WinForm application.

--Rob

Friday, October 28, 2011 3:08 PM
  • .Net 3.5.1 is not enabled by default in Windows Developer Preview.

You can go to Control Panel, Click on Programs and Features.
    On the left, click on Turn Windows Features on or Off. Put a check in Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5.1.

.Net Framework 3.5.1 will be enabled automatically if you install Windows Live Essentials.

The thread below gives another method for using DISM to enable .Net 3.5.1:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/a6f521a5-8a1d-428d-8ce9-7fccf627784c

Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) is a command-line tool used to service Windows® images offline before deployment. You can use it to install, uninstall, configure, and update Windows features, packages, drivers, and international settings. Subsets of the DISM servicing commands are also available for servicing a running operating system.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 8:50 PM
  • Thanks, Rob.
    Monday, October 31, 2011 4:37 PM
  • Thanks, Marilyn for your answer as well! Still, there is one question that was left unanswered: Do you plan to change this behavior in the final build of Win8? I mean do you plan to enable the .NET 3.5 by default?

Thanks,

Nikolay

Thursday, November 03, 2011 11:15 AM
  • Hello NikolayBS, 

We have no way to know what the developers will include or not include in the fnal release of the product. The features and functionality currently in the prerelease software may not appear in the final version.

You can submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program. If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview.  There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here

We will have to wait for the final product to see for ourselves.

Sincerely,

Marilyn
    Thursday, November 03, 2011 4:17 PM
  • Thanks, Marilyn
    Thursday, November 03, 2011 4:37 PM