none
The database has been placed in a state by user RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

I am receving this error when I try to do wordmerge.

Error has occurred: The database has been placed in a state by user 'Admin' on machine 'xxxxxxx' that prevents it from being opened or locked.

How can I resolve this error?

Thanks for any help.

• Edited by ReignFan Thursday, September 7, 2017 7:39 PM
    Thursday, September 7, 2017 7:39 PM

All replies

• Hi. Make sure your code is not updating the same record in the table as the one on the form or vice versa when you run your Word merge procedure. Hope it helps...
    Thursday, September 7, 2017 7:53 PM
  • Hello theDBguy,

How are you doing?

I am pretty sure my code has nothing to do with it. Because, all I am doing is selecting the query I want and clicking on 'wordmerge' and it immediately pops up this error. My query just reads the data from the table(only select statement).

Thank you.

• Edited by ReignFan Thursday, September 7, 2017 8:05 PM
    Thursday, September 7, 2017 8:04 PM
  • That may be true but without seeing your code, we can't tell you if we agree or not. Can show it to us?
    Thursday, September 7, 2017 11:33 PM
    • Edited by ReignFan Friday, September 8, 2017 3:19 PM
    Friday, September 8, 2017 12:52 PM
  • Bumping up the question. Anybody?

Thanks.

• Edited by ReignFan Monday, September 11, 2017 12:11 PM
    Monday, September 11, 2017 12:11 PM
  • Hi ReignFan,

I failed to reproduce your issue. I create a database and create a new table.

I use a query to select data from the table and use word merge based on the query. It worked well.

What's your query string and what's your table? Have you tried to create a new database for testing?

Could you share use a database file which could reproduce this issue? Thanks for understanding.

Besides, I do the test in Access 2016, what's your access version?

Best Regards,

Terry

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 2:10 AM
  • I am using Access 2013.

I tried to create a new database for testing like you suggested. Surprisingly, as soon as I opened the access database and tried to import my tables and queries into it, it threw the same error again. It is a blank new database and still the error pops up. Not sure what this means. Any suggestion would be great. Thanks.

• Edited by ReignFan Wednesday, September 13, 2017 12:52 PM
    Wednesday, September 13, 2017 12:52 PM
  • ReignFan:  I am using Access 2013.

On what version of Windows?

I suggest:

1. Perform a Disk Cleanup and Clean up system files.

2. Ensure the PC has no pending Windows or Office updates.

In that order.

If this post answered or helped you find the answer to your question, please mark it as such for other Forum users knowledge.

• Edited by DriveEV Wednesday, September 13, 2017 1:17 PM
    Wednesday, September 13, 2017 1:11 PM
  • Thanks h2fcell. But this has been happening on multiple pcs.

I am on windows 7.

• Edited by ReignFan Wednesday, September 13, 2017 4:32 PM
    Wednesday, September 13, 2017 4:31 PM
  • Is this a multi-user environment where multiple users trying to access the same database file?

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 5:18 PM
  • ReignFan:  this has been happening on multiple pcs.

If Microsoft sends out an update and PC's are not set to auto update multiple PCs would have the issue.

When you get the message; "The database has been placed in a state by user 'Admin' on machine 'xxxxxxx' that prevents it from being opened or locked."  go to the machine being identified and follow my suggestion above.

If this post answered or helped you find the answer to your question, please mark it as such for other Forum users knowledge.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 8:42 PM
  • Hi,

In the machine identify in the message use the Task Manager and check if a MSACCESS process is running.

If it is ... Stop that process... Or reboot that machine.

When you gain acess to the bd I suggest that you Compact and Repair it.

HTH

Joao Simplicio Rodrigues

Thursday, September 14, 2017 8:32 PM