Multi Identity Management

Question

• Hey there,

is there something on your list regarding managing multiple digital identities? To be precise, that one person can have many different digital identities and tell Windows during the start of an app/signing in to a web-app in the browser, that he would like to use a particular digital identity for signing in.

Cheers

Monday, October 10, 2011 9:33 PM

All replies

• You could create different account for each users and then each user would be able to manage his or her own applications and browsers, it is standard for Windows . Are you refering to any other special scenario? Could you elabrate more that why you want such a feature?

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 12:37 PM
  • I for one have multiple email addresses as well as a network login.  If I use windows live login I lose network connectivity.  One should be able to identify multiple digital signatures and where they should be used (i.e. what website, network, windows live, etc.)
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:42 PM
  • wdgoldstein1,

Using Live ID is only for logging into Windows Developer Preview. It won't overwrite your other digital accounts like Facebook, twitter, wireless networks, etc.. Having Live ID for Windows Developer Preview to able to sync your settings and Metro style apps and able to load it to another computer just by signing on using Live ID account. You can also use Local Account if you preferred.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 4:22 PM
    Answerer
  • @Cyber_Defend_Team & Eric:

For sure, one can create different user accounts, each using a special live id for signing in.

But from my perspective, one single live id is THE identity of a human in the digital world. Thus this human (say Bob) has his own pictures, videos, contacts etc. And he has his own set of digital identities (as @wdgoldstein1 mentioned). Perhaps he has even two or more digital identities for one single web application, let's say a personal account and a occupational account on www.whatsoever.com.

Under that circumstances, it would be nice if Bob could be logged in to Windows using his "Bob's Live Id" (identifying himself as the human). Afterwards he visits www.whatsoever.com and has to log in, too. Windows then shows him a list of digital identities appropriate for that web application. Bob choose the occupational identity and Windows offers the data (live id) of the occupational identity to the client (the browser in that case); so Bob will be logged in to www.whatsoever.com with the occupational identity. After finishing his work Bob logs off and now wants to log in with his personal identity he also has at www.whatsoever.com. The same procedure of showing and chosing the appropriate identity starts again.

Some kind of identity set or store would simplify that task. Bob hasn't to log off in Windows and relog in with another account to sign in to the same application with just another live id. That is what I mean with multiple identity management for a single person.

Among live ids  the identity store could also save web ids, username-password combos, browser ids etc. All this data can be synchronised in order to be available on all devices this particular person uses.

Beyond that Bob doesn't need to remember hundreds of passwords, usernames and so on. Because of logging in to Windows by identifying through his "Bob's Live Id", Bob gain access to all his digital identities, enabling him to just use, manage, search or collaborate them.

(I am not sure to which post I should reply. Thus I take my initial post for replying; I hope that was right)

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:01 PM
  • In Windows Live you could create multiple ID and link them together in Windows Live Account page , but for this specific scenario it could be a good suggestion , I believe it is possible to define this for metro apps , that you could log off from App(not Windows ) and login using different account.

Thursday, October 13, 2011 11:11 AM
  • That could be a first step.

For browsers and apps using online services other than live id secured ones, the username-password authentication stored per app would also be useful. Thus the live id password acts like a master password in most browsers.

In some cases a user doesn't want to log in with just a single account. If the Windows developer team decides to implement a bigger concept of identification in Windows, they should take into account the particularity of being logged in to the same app with two different accounts simultaneously (some messengers provide that feature, for instance). I think on the app side that feature could be implemented via some special interfaces, as Metro style apps already do for the charme contracts.

Sunday, October 16, 2011 8:35 AM