How do I generate service reference activities in my rehosted designer RRS feed

• General discussion

• My desginer is used to create lots of xamlx workflows.  These are hosted in app fabric.

From Visual Studio I can add a service reference that points to my workflows, and it generates activities in my toolbar that I can use to call my service from another workflow.

I'd like to do the same thing from my rehosted designer.  I figured it would be something like calling svcutil.exe, but couldn't find any information on this.

Does anybody know how to create xaml activities by pointing at a service for a workflow designer rehost?

Cheers

Jason Bolstad
    Friday, June 11, 2010 2:29 AM

All replies

• Anyone?
    Jason Bolstad
    Monday, June 21, 2010 12:07 AM
  • Hi, Jason:

If I understand correctly, you are trying to do "add service reference" in your re-hosted workflow designer, and you want the corresponding activities (to communicate with the service) to be generated in the toolbox, so that you can drag and drop, right?

currently, I think there may not be a easy way to do that. the "add service reference" feature in Visual Studio is using some similar API in SVCUtil to achieve that, and it requires you to build to generate the activities in toolbox. So there is no way to can do it in re-hosted workflow designer.

Monday, June 21, 2010 7:44 AM
  • Hi Zhenyu

Yes the activities need to be built to appear in the toolbox, but the generation of the activity xaml is all I need, and this is created without a build in the depth of the files that make up the service reference.

Is the API that creates the activity xaml from a service public available?

Jason Bolstad
    Monday, June 21, 2010 11:58 PM
  • Thanks Jason,

We do have public API in

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Activities.dll ! Microsoft.VisualStudio.Activities.Asr.ClientActivityBuilder.Build()

to create an ActivityBuilder.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 5:34 AM
  • Great, I'll give it a try.
    Jason Bolstad
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 8:32 PM
  • Hi Andrew

Sorry to bug you on this, but I have looked everywhere for this assembly and can't find it anywhere.  What assembly is it in, and where is this assembly?

Jason Bolstad
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 9:57 PM
  • Sorry to reply this real late - though I thought I have already give you the full path in the last reply ...

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Activities.dll

Thursday, September 16, 2010 2:31 PM
  • Hey, It's never too late:)

Cheers

Jason Bolstad
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 8:55 PM
  • However I don't have the button to mark it as the answer sorry.
    Jason Bolstad
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 8:57 PM