Where to start? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I trying to learn Software Architecture and Software Design.  I'm a long-time programmer but work for a company that doesn't use formalized practices.  What would be the best place to start learning.  I'm quite a bit overwhelmed.  My only experience is well commented code.  I am interested in reading books, but more interested in free resources.
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 5:18 PM

All replies

• I would start by studying Design Patterns.  Most architectural patterns begin with a firm understanding of design patterns.

Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 5:42 PM
  • Come on dude or gal, does it make sense , please do join a software concern and learn how people inside  the software concern work. Adaption is bottom line suuccess for your software life inside an software concern. Please do follow the role of three monkey. That is the best real time facts. it is very painful , then again welcome to the real world.
    PHIJO MP
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 1:55 PM
  • Hi,

The best practise for software design is behaviour driven development (BDD) but that requires an agile approach to software development.

Test driven development (TDD), a part of BDD, is a good place to start. It's also more agile but it can be used on other development techniques; like waterfall. Big up front designs for example can still use TDD but the design doesn't evolve obviously. TDD still provides the safety net even if the design is done before coding

Requirements always change, the design evolves, TDD - if done right - helps the design evolve.

Also look at SOLID, an acronym for a collection of practises to help create flexible designs.

…we each have more potential than we might ever presume to guess. (Blog: http://dsmyth.blogspot.com/)
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 3:17 PM
  • Architecture is to solve business problems. To solve business problems there are many way and many solutions developed by many venders. So I would recommend upgrade your skills by referring vender’s web site like msdn & Microsoft. This will help you to use right tool at right time like SharePoint, BizTalk, dotnetNuke , Workflow, silver light etc.

Learning some Architectural design pattern like MVC, MVVM, MVP and object design patterns like Factory, command etc will help you to create right Architecture.

I would recommend understanding UML 2.0 too will help you to be a good Architect.

Spend some time every day with this forum [MSDN Architecture Center > Architecture Forums > Architecture General] and understand how different people try to solve different business issues.

This .ppt may help you what you need to do.

<cite>sunset.usc.edu/~neno/cs477_2003/February11.ppt</cite>

<cite></cite>

-------------- Lingaraj Mishra
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:49 AM
  • please do not give text advice , when real facts come , people get hurt very badly , people often degrade their professional ethics where the behavior comes equivalent to street dogs that you find in the streets. Please do some sensible advice where their is balance from professonial and private life.
    PHIJO MP
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 2:29 PM