none
.NET Framework 4 Installation crash before start (0x000013EC) RRS feed

• Question

• .net 3.5 is successful installed, but when I want install .net 4 framework full package, the setup extracts files, but failed before install !

I have extracted that log:

OS Version = 5.1.2600, Platform 2, Service Pack 3
    OS Description = WinXP - x86 Professional Service Pack 3
    CommandLine = E:\8fd155476929d88acaf77ffe6722c6b3\\Setup.exe /q /log D:\dotnet4.log /x86 /x64
    TimeZone = GMT Daylight Time
    Initial LCID = 1033
    Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism
    Operation: Installing
    Package Name = Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup
    Package Version = 4.0.30319
    User Experience Data Collection Policy: UserControlled
    Number of applicable items: 8
    Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x000013EC), "A StopBlock was hit or a System Requirement was not met." (Elapsed time: 0 00:00:10).

I have the latest Windows Installer, but Internet Explorer IS NOT installed (and I DON'T want internet explorer !). 

How can I install .Net 4.0 framework ?

Thursday, July 28, 2011 11:46 AM

Answers

• Hi Scrat789,

Thank you for your post.

From your post, you tried to install .NET Framework 4 via a web installer, so, first, I recommend you try to install a standalone version of .NET Framework 4: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17718

Second, based on download page, you will find the prerequisite of .NET Framework 4:

·         Windows Installer 3.1 or later

·         Internet Explorer 5.01 or later

I know you have not installed IE on your machine, but I think you should install it so as to install .NET Framework 4.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Monday, August 8, 2011 3:24 AM
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 2:40 PM

All replies

• The complete install logs should reveal *which* system requirement is not being met.

Please do the following:

Collect the install logs with this:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=it&id=12493

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, then post the link here.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 4:03 PM
  • My vslogs.cab : http://www.mediafire.com/?a5bqfu0dxixo8q8

thanks

Monday, August 1, 2011 12:53 PM
  • I have a similar problem but on windows server 2008 R2, here are the other details:

OS Version = 6.1.7600, Platform 2
    OS Description = Win2K8R2 - x64 Standard Edition
    OS Version Information
     Global Block Checks: StopBlockers evaluated to true.
     Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x000013EC), "A StopBlock was hit or a System Requirement was not met." (Elapsed time: 0 00:00:19).
    I have uploaded the vslog.cab at:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=5112f64ef386d654&resid=5112F64EF386D654!149

Really appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

-Asif

Monday, August 1, 2011 7:10 PM
  • This is for Asif999 (and this is why you need your own thread)

Please start your own thread. Potential responders will be unlikely to see your question buried in this thread.

However, I'm looking at your logs and I can already see that your situation is very different from that of scrat. You actually have an install log for .NET Framework 4.0.

Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x000013EC), "A StopBlock was hit or a System Requirement was not met." (Elapsed time: 0 00:00:19).

Did you ever have a beta version of .NET 4.0 on this machine?

You may want to read through this thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxsetup/thread/6f64f3f5-0a2e-44a3-8a1d-d679275b08b0

You can also try the following:

Manually extract the contents of dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe to a folder on your hrd drive. You will find Setup.exe in the root folder. Execute Setup.exe from the command prompt As Administrator as follows:

Setup.exe /x64

• Proposed as answer by Diego Rio Saturday, December 10, 2011 3:30 PM
    Monday, August 1, 2011 8:41 PM
  • This is for scrat789:

I suspect the fact that IE is not installed is affecting your system. Actually, I have no idea how you removed it, but I suggest you reinstall it. You don't have to use it, or make it your default browser.

There is no install log for .NET 4. Only the decompression log, so I can only guess what the installer finds missing. Hence my opinion above.

You can try the following:

Manually extract the contents of dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe to a folder on your hrd drive. You will find Setup.exe in the root folder. Execute Setup.exe from the command prompt As Administrator as follows:

Setup.exe /x86

Monday, August 1, 2011 8:58 PM
  • Thanks for your answer.

I have already try to extract the contents and lunch directly Setup.exe /x86 command (in cmd and in explorer), but same result... failed before install.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 9:48 AM
  • Sorry for using an existing question to post my issue, I just thought that since this was the same issue I could post it here and the answer would help scat789 as well,never intended to hijack this thread.

anyways... we tried extracting and executing the Setup.exe through the command prompt as the administrator but we still get the same error.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 10:19 AM
  • Hi Scrat789,

Thank you for your post.

From your post, you tried to install .NET Framework 4 via a web installer, so, first, I recommend you try to install a standalone version of .NET Framework 4: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17718

Second, based on download page, you will find the prerequisite of .NET Framework 4:

·         Windows Installer 3.1 or later

·         Internet Explorer 5.01 or later

I know you have not installed IE on your machine, but I think you should install it so as to install .NET Framework 4.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Monday, August 8, 2011 3:24 AM
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 2:40 PM
  • You can also try the following:

Setup.exe /x64

If the filename is "dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe", this method of execution is completely insane, but worked for the error 0x000013EC. However, the installer should have the ability to determine the machine's architecture.
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 3:34 PM
  • This method works fine for me
    Monday, May 12, 2014 7:43 PM