none
Apply Outlook Rules to messages after they are assigned a Category RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I am trying to help someone create Outlook Rules to manage work items that arrive in a shared mailbox.

We want team members working in the shared mailbox to be able to label incoming messages, and based on the label, the message should be moved into a particular subfolder.

We have two thoughts about how this could be done. One, they could assign a Category to the message, move it to a "Labeled" folder within the mailbox, and a rule could run on things that arrive in the Labeled folder. But we don't know how to set up rules to run on a folder other than the Inbox.

Our other thought is, we could have it set up so that as soon as they assign the Category, a rule or a macro runs and moves the item to the appropriate folder for that category.

We are trying to fix the current situation where they have to manually drag e-mails into folders, because that's more error-prone.

We do not have access to a VBA resource who can code this for us, but I would be willing to try to adapt an example.

The solution should work for Outlook 2007 as well as Outlook 2010.

Any directional assistance you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Rachel Garrett

Monday, April 1, 2013 4:39 PM

Answers

• The Folder Assistant or Moderated Folder (can't remember which) features with Public Folders has a provision for running rules on items that are received into a specific Public Folder.  However, there is no way to run a rule on specific folders in a Mailbox - just incoming emails to the message delivery location.

It definitely sounds like you need an add-in (way better than a VBA macro for multi-user solutions) to code your specific process.  Lots of examples exist on OutlookCode.com.

Eric Legault MVP (Outlook)
    About me...
    Outlook Appins: Store Social Media fields in your Outlook Contacts!

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 3:15 PM