What's the difference between a app deploy from within VS and using the PowerShell scripts?

Question

• My app has difficulties loading the bundled MSVCRT90.dll when I deploy it using the PowerShell scripts from the generated (non-Store) packages. When I deploy the app through Visual Studio it works just fine.

So there must be a difference on how the app is deployed/setup on the users system.

The variant deployed via Powershell pops up a Runtime Error message r6034 which according to the CRT source has to do with inconsistent atexit object structures.

Deploy via package and PowerShell

'WWAHost.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\XXX_1.0.0.21_x86__rkwkdfw5vjsbe\XXX_winrt_helper.winmd'. Module was built without symbols.
    'WWAHost.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\XXX_1.0.0.21_x86__rkwkdfw5vjsbe\XXX_winrt_helper.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'WWAHost.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.120.00.Debug_12.0.21005.1_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\vccorlib120d_app.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'WWAHost.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.120.00.Debug_12.0.21005.1_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\msvcp120d_app.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'WWAHost.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.120.00.Debug_12.0.21005.1_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\msvcr120d_app.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'WWAHost.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\XXX_1.0.0.21_x86__rkwkdfw5vjsbe\msvcr90.dll'. Symbols loaded.

Via VisualStudio:

'WWAHost.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\voice\AppxLayouts\XXXVS.Debug_x86.philk_000\XXX_winrt_helper.winmd'. Module was built without symbols.
    'WWAHost.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\voice\AppxLayouts\XXXVS.Debug_x86.philk_000\XXX_winrt_helper.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'WWAHost.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.120.00.Debug_12.0.21005.1_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\vccorlib120d_app.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'WWAHost.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.120.00.Debug_12.0.21005.1_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\msvcp120d_app.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'WWAHost.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.120.00.Debug_12.0.21005.1_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\msvcr120d_app.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'WWAHost.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\voice\AppxLayouts\XXXVS.Debug_x86.philk_000\msvcr90.dll'. Symbols loaded.

• Edited by pkursawe Friday, June 20, 2014 9:24 AM
    Friday, June 20, 2014 8:52 AM

Answers

• I'm not really sure. As it's an unsupported configuration, I'm not going to get too deep into it. 

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Thursday, June 26, 2014 6:32 PM

All replies

• MSVCRT90 - isn't that a really old version?  I don't think that it's supported to use this.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, June 23, 2014 7:56 PM
  • Very old 3rd party code. Runs just fine when deployed via VS. Doesn't when installed via PowerShell Script. I am just curious what the difference in the deploy methods are.
    Monday, June 23, 2014 8:29 PM
  • I'm not really sure. As it's an unsupported configuration, I'm not going to get too deep into it. 

Thursday, June 26, 2014 6:32 PM