Finding work? RRS feed

• Question

• So, here's my situation.  I've been spending all my spare and not so spare time for the last year studying C#, .NET , SL etc primarily via one of the better (I think) paid online course providers.  As anyone who has read any of my posts asking for help surely knows, I have a long way to go and I realize that I'm no expert yet. However, I have learned enough (with the help of folks here) to build a fairly elaborate web project with a discussion forum, a video gallery, and a blog of sorts, using SL3 (I'm studying up on 4), ASP membership, L2S, .asmx etc etc.  My circumstances at the moment rule out spending the money for certifications.  I think I have a pretty realistic appraisal of my abilities, that is to say I'm honest with myself about what I do and don't have a handle on.  In an ideal world, I'd like to start dipping a toe into taking on smaller SL based projects that are realistic based on my abilities. To idealize even more, I was hoping to find projects I could work on offsite as a 1099 contractor.  This way if I'm stuck I can stay up all night working on a problem on my time, not my employers.

I've been watching Monster, CareerBuilder and some of the IT job forums and as you might guess, have had essentially no luck. 

Am I dreaming, or is there a place for a beginner out there?  If so, how would and where would I look for these opportunities? 

Thanks for any suggestions, even if they are a reality check ;)

Paul

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 2:58 PM

Answers

• The Linked In idea is great sl, thanks I wasn't aware of that.  I've been responding to ads on CL for a while that weren't SL but ASP and etc, no luck there.

Thanks guys... as always, I'm grateful for all the help!

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:22 PM

All replies

•  Do you have LinkedIn account? There is a Silverlight Experts group you can join and there are lot of Silverlight Job postings there.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 3:06 PM
  • sladapter is right...that might indeed be
    a good strategy to search in a more focused network and
    get in contact with the right people...

There's also a Job forum section on Silverlight.net
    wich you may as well take a look at... you never know... 

Best of luck...

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 3:40 PM
  • In addition to the options mentioned by sladapter and mawashikid, you can also browse job postings on Craigslist. There are few contract work posted on it and its a great place to start as well.

All the best !

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 3:44 PM
  • The Linked In idea is great sl, thanks I wasn't aware of that.  I've been responding to ads on CL for a while that weren't SL but ASP and etc, no luck there.

Thanks guys... as always, I'm grateful for all the help!

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:22 PM