error creating snapshot RRS feed

• Question

• hello everybody.

i'm making some testing with database mirror, with 1 sql server 2008 engine and a sql server 2008 r2 engine, mirror is ok , and is syncd, my problem now is when i try to make a snapshoot on the mirror server ( R2 engine) i get this error :

Cannot open database 'badjoras' version 655. Upgrade the database to the latest version.

can somebody show me the light here, 

i've tried to take snapshots of other databases in the same server and everything works ok, but on this one.. it fails

thank you in advance

Thursday, December 9, 2010 5:04 PM

Answers

• I am assuming your case as follows

Primary - SQL 2008
    Mirrored - SQL 2008 R2

The error that you get is expected as the mirrored database is not yet completely recovered at least once (restored) so that the database version is not upgraded to SQL 2008 R2's(661).

The database snaphot will work only after the first failover happens - during the failover the mirrored database is bought online and completely recovered now the boot page of the database will be updating the dbi_version in the database as 661 which is initially a 2008 database with version 655.

If you want to take a snapshot of your mirrored database without the above error message follow this step

**  Failover the mirrored database ( Now your 2008 r2 copy is the primary - now your database version is updated to 661) , the database snapshots will work on the SQL 2008 R2 when it is the primary source (principal) in the database mirroring partners.

But remember you may not be able to failover again back to your original setup as 2008r2 database cannot be recovered by 2008 Engine.

Bottom line : Though you can take snapshot of your database after failover and having 2008 r2 as primary - you are essentially breaking the mirror and you cannot failover back to original setup.If you want to have the ability to take snapshots change your mirrroring config to either use 2008 or 2008 R2 on both the instances.

Thanks, Leks

Thursday, December 9, 2010 11:00 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hey Ricardo,

Just wanted to clarify, are you mirroring a SQL 2008 Server with a SQL 2008 R2 server?

SQLBalls: Blog| Twitter | LinkedIn
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 5:39 PM
  • I am assuming your case as follows

Primary - SQL 2008
    Mirrored - SQL 2008 R2

The error that you get is expected as the mirrored database is not yet completely recovered at least once (restored) so that the database version is not upgraded to SQL 2008 R2's(661).

The database snaphot will work only after the first failover happens - during the failover the mirrored database is bought online and completely recovered now the boot page of the database will be updating the dbi_version in the database as 661 which is initially a 2008 database with version 655.

If you want to take a snapshot of your mirrored database without the above error message follow this step

**  Failover the mirrored database ( Now your 2008 r2 copy is the primary - now your database version is updated to 661) , the database snapshots will work on the SQL 2008 R2 when it is the primary source (principal) in the database mirroring partners.

But remember you may not be able to failover again back to your original setup as 2008r2 database cannot be recovered by 2008 Engine.

Bottom line : Though you can take snapshot of your database after failover and having 2008 r2 as primary - you are essentially breaking the mirror and you cannot failover back to original setup.If you want to have the ability to take snapshots change your mirrroring config to either use 2008 or 2008 R2 on both the instances.

Thanks, Leks

Thursday, December 9, 2010 11:00 PM
    Answerer
  • Perfect explaination by Leks.

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/blakhani
    Team Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlserverfaq
    Friday, December 10, 2010 1:12 AM
  • thank you very much, i just tried the failover , to mirror( 2008 r2) and worked fine, but then tried to failover back to (2008) and just broke the mirror, with the following error, wich i found wierd.

The database 'mydatabase' cannot be opened because it is version 661. This server supports version 662 and earlier. A downgrade path is not supported.

this error was in the 2008 server log  

but thank you for your help, because i thought 2008 and 2008 r2 where compatible 

Friday, December 10, 2010 10:47 AM