Can't connect to server. RRS feed

• Question

• (Usual disclaimer  ;o))    *************  Warning - Beginner at work  ********************

I am trying to create a database project for college using XP home and SQL Server 2008 Developer.

I was doing rather well, but in a post to another forum last night, it was recommended that I think about creating users and granting rights to users rather than using INSTEAD OF TRIGGERS and then enabling/disabling them in stored procedures ( well, this was the case for one procedure rather than many truth be told).

I knew that I had delayed the setting up of users (due to lack of knowledge) long enough - and so felt it was time to implement them.

Logged on to XP with my normal admin account (Steve - which is the account that I used to install Server and work on my project) I created three (limited) users in XP home (MSmith, SJones and OBrown) but for some strange reason, when I looked at Server only the first two showed up. I deleted OBrown and created OGreen and had a look again - still no OGreen!!.

Ok , never mind, I said... I will dabble with what I have.

Steve - to have full access to Server instance and databases
    MSmith - to have access only to CentralPACDatabase (the database my project is based on and the default for MSmith).
    SJones - to have access only to a subset of the schemas in CentralPACDatabase
    OGreen - as SJones (if it was there).

I didn’t ‘play’ around too much so I thought (just putting my toes in the water) so all I wanted to do was set MSmiths default database to CentralPACdatabase and give access to all the schemas - but it looks like I have screwed something up in Steve (Strange - I didn't think I had changed anything there.)

I thought I would reboot to see if OGreen would show up but after reboot, I can now no longer connect to server using Steve!! (or any other account so it seems)

All is not lost as I can just uninstall Server and start again - but only if I have to.

What options do I have?

TIA

Harko

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing!
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 11:06 PM

Answers

• Just to say - I have reinstalled SQL Server and all is well.

Harko.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing!
    • Marked as answer by Harko Friday, June 5, 2009 3:40 AM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 3:37 AM