Workflow Scope RRS feed

• Question

• I am designing a workflow for an ecommerce site.  I was looking for some guidance.  I am making the service a WCF declaritive service and was wondering if it is better to have one workflow for each shopping cart or one large workflow that manages all shopping carts and orders.  I want to be able to track the cart from creation all the way to when it's an 'order' and then hold the order for 30 days until it is finally marked as non-refundable in a database.

I am worried about designing a workflow that's too big and has performance issue. From my question, you can probably tell I'm new at this.

Thanks for any help!

Saturday, November 6, 2010 10:06 PM

Answers

• One workflow instance per shopping cart is the way to go- this will make it much easier to parse out tracking data for individual orders.

Inactive workflows will persist and be removed from memory, so you don't need to worry about how many active orders you have- you can have thousands of persisted workflows in the instance store, while only a few workflows will be active in memory at a given time.

• Marked as answer by Andrew_Zhu Friday, November 12, 2010 7:17 AM
    Monday, November 8, 2010 7:53 PM