none
vb.net 2013 application get ole db 12.0 provider error mesage RRS feed

• Question

• I just converted a vb.net 2010 desktop application that used to use Access 2013 to vb.net 2013 desktop that now can use access 2016. I did this conversion since the users now have a windows 10 computer that uses access 2016. 

I changed the visual studio version on a new computer I have since it only has access 2016 on it. I installed the new application on my computer and everything ran fine. 

After that, I installed the application on a user test computer that is windows 10 and has access 2016. I then got the oledb 12.0 error message on the test computer. 

My new computer does not have access 2013 on it. My new computer only has access 2016 on it. 

My new computer looks like it has all the original versions of the .net framework on it up until .net framework version 4.5.1. Thus I am guessing maybe one of those frameworks have a connection to ole db 12.0 provider, I guess.

Thus can you tell me what you think would allow the vb.net 2013 application using access 2016 and not have the oledb 12.0 provider problem on my computer? What do you think I can do so I can make the application run successfully on my computer and on the user's computer?

Friday, December 15, 2017 2:38 AM

Answers

• Hi wendy,

>>Thus can you tell me why the  Redistributable 2016 did not work and why the  Redistributable 2010 worked? 

Did you get the error related with oledb 12.0 provider? If so, it required Redistributable 2010. If you need your app to work with Redistributable 2016, you need to change your connectionstring.

Since your original issue could be resolved by installing Redistributable 2010, I would suggest you mark the solution as answer to close current thread.

If you are wondering how to make your app work with Redistributable 2016, please feel free to post a new thread, and share us your code which connect to Access.

Best Regards,

Tao Zhou

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 3:05 AM

All replies

• Hi wendy,

Without changing anything in your code, you could try to install Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable on your computer and user’s computer.

Best Regards,

Tao Zhou

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 15, 2017 8:07 AM
  • I already have that installed on the user's computers and that makes no difference. would I want to use Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable  instead? Would that make a difference?
    Friday, December 15, 2017 1:39 PM
  • Is your Access 2016 32-bit or 64-bit? Is your VB.NET app configured for the x86 Platform or is it Any CPU or x64? I'm going to assume you are working with an .accdb (2007 or higher) Access database and not .mdb (2003 or prior).

Here is what you need to know:

1) The Visual Studio Data Designer tools will only work with the 32-bit ACE or Jet OLEDB Providers since Visual Studio is a 32-bit app.

2) If the 32-bit ACE OLEDB Provider is installed then the VB.NET app will need to have the Platform option set to x86 in order for it to run 32-bit on a 64-bit Windows OS.

3) If the 64-bit ACE OLEDB Provider is installed then the VB.NET app will need to have the Platform option set to Any CPU or x64 in order for it to run native 64-bit on Windows.

4) Microsoft does not support the installation of both 32-bit and 64-bit Microsoft Office components, but there is a workaround for getting both of the 32-bit and 64-bit Access Database Engine components installed. I can provide those instructions if I know whether 32-bit or 64-bit Office/Access is installed.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Friday, December 15, 2017 3:58 PM
  • The following pertains to Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable:

1. I had to use the 64-bit version since the office professional 2016 was 64 bit.

2. The Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable did not work and I do not know why. Would you have an idea of why?

3. I then uninstalled Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable and installed Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable copy that I had saved from 3 years ago. This did make the using Access 2016 work correctly on this test computer.

Thus can you tell me why the  Redistributable 2016 did not work and why the  Redistributable 2010 worked? It makes no sense to me.

Friday, December 15, 2017 4:19 PM
  • The following pertains to Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable:

1. I had to use the 64-bit version since the office professional 2016 was 64 bit.

2. The Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable did not work and I do not know why. Would you have an idea of why?

3. I then uninstalled Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable and installed Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable copy that I had saved from 3 years ago. This did make the using Access 2016 work correctly on this test computer.

Thus can you tell me why the  Redistributable 2016 did not work and why the  Redistributable 2010 worked? It makes no sense to me.

I would suspect the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable you have from 3 years ago is 32-bit. You can confirm by using the Data Designer Tools in Visual Studio to connect to a .accdb file. If there is no error then 32-bit is installed. 

I am also speculating that the Platform (Build...Configuration Manager...) of your project is x86 (32-bit):

Friday, December 15, 2017 8:57 PM
  • The following pertains to the above:

1. The file is definitely an .accdb file.

2. When I look at the platform, Any CPU I the platform the is displayed. Does that mean the platform is x86?

Can you tell me what it means?

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 3:19 PM
  • The following pertains to the above:

1. The file is definitely an .accdb file.

2. When I look at the platform, Any CPU I the platform the is displayed. Does that mean the platform is x86?

Can you tell me what it means?

Any CPU as the Platform would indicate that your app would be running 64-bit on 64-bit Windows. If you are not encountering the error then that would confirm that the 64-bit ACE OLEDB Provider is installed (assuming you are running 64-bit Windows).

If the VS Data Design tools are working with a .accdb then that would indicate you also have the 32-bit version of the ACE OLEDB Provider installed.

Generally only either the 32-bit or 64-bit ACE OLEDB Provider is installed, but it is possible, with a workaround, to install both.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 9:15 PM
  • Hi wendy,

>>Thus can you tell me why the  Redistributable 2016 did not work and why the  Redistributable 2010 worked? 

Did you get the error related with oledb 12.0 provider? If so, it required Redistributable 2010. If you need your app to work with Redistributable 2016, you need to change your connectionstring.

Since your original issue could be resolved by installing Redistributable 2010, I would suggest you mark the solution as answer to close current thread.

If you are wondering how to make your app work with Redistributable 2016, please feel free to post a new thread, and share us your code which connect to Access.

Best Regards,

Tao Zhou

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 3:05 AM