accessing sitecollection in one farm from another farm RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using a powershell script to do some entries in a sitecollection X. The site collection is in Farm A. I want to do these entries in sitecollection X using sharepoint powershell in Farm B. The problem is, I can't access the sitecollection from Farm B. Please suggest a way to access the sitecollection in other farm.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:12 AM

Answers

• Hi.

You have to run the script directly on the target farm.

Powershell uses Server Object Model and you cannot run the script on a machine that not belong the target farm.

Regards,
    Bubu
    http://zsvipullo.blogspot.it

Please mark my answer if it helped you, I would greatly appreciate it.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:28 AM
  • Mostly true, however you can use some of the tricks meant for use in O365 to interact with SharePoint through the CSOM. I've got a POC on my blog where you automate SP behaviour from a client machine using PowerShell.

You could also use remoting to initiate the update from Server A (in farm A) but execute the script on server B (in farm B). Not the easiest thing to do but it can be done if the security team don't shoot it down.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 11:06 AM

All replies

• Hi.

You have to run the script directly on the target farm.

Powershell uses Server Object Model and you cannot run the script on a machine that not belong the target farm.

Regards,
    Bubu
    http://zsvipullo.blogspot.it

Please mark my answer if it helped you, I would greatly appreciate it.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:28 AM
  • Mostly true, however you can use some of the tricks meant for use in O365 to interact with SharePoint through the CSOM. I've got a POC on my blog where you automate SP behaviour from a client machine using PowerShell.

You could also use remoting to initiate the update from Server A (in farm A) but execute the script on server B (in farm B). Not the easiest thing to do but it can be done if the security team don't shoot it down.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 11:06 AM