EntityException: The underlying provider failed on Commit RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I got the following exception in SaveChanges():

System.Data.EntityException: The underlying provider failed on Commit . ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Since I've got this exception - I've handled it like the commit have failed .

The problem is that the actual commit on the db WAS SUCCESSFUL and the SaveChanges was actually written to the db.

It turns out that on this exception - you don't know if the save changes was successful or failure - similar to TransactionInDoubt exception while in TransactionScope . And in this case, you have to re-query the DB to know how to handle it right (check if changes were made or not).

This seems like an unreasonable behavior:

For each important SaveChanges() - you have to handle the following options:

1. Success

2. Exception:

2.a. Failed

2.b. Maybe - check on your own responsibility.

Am I missing something here?

I couldn't find any documentation regarding this issue, what is the right way to handle this exception?

Thanks,

Shlomi

p.s. I was using EF 1.0

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 10:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Shlomi,

So you are using TransactionScope ? Did you set the timeout of the TransactionScope ?

Best regards,

Alex Liang

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 3:00 AM
  • Hi Alex,

This error occurred not inside TransactionScope .

I just pointed out that it is a similar case to the exception TransactionInDoubt that is thrown inside TransactionScope.

Some more details:

This error happened due to loss of connectivity with our DB - which caused the Timeout and in turn it 'failed on commit'.

Unfortunately, I treated this exception - as failed to SaveChanges but it actually, on the DB, succeeded doing so, and then I lost the data integrity on my application in relation to the DB.

I have to say that this is a really disturbing scenario.

Thursday, November 4, 2010 9:07 AM
  • Hi,

Just wanted to ping again on this issue, to see if someone have more insights.

Thanks,

Shlomi

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 12:59 PM
  • Hi there,

just wanted to say that I'm dealing with this issue too. It happens kind of randomly and in an environment with a "shady" connection to my database... if I run everything locally it's not an issue.

Friday, May 6, 2011 1:57 PM
  • Hi,

This exception occurs in my entityframework, did you have any solution yet?

Friday, April 19, 2013 2:45 AM