Visual Studio 11 Database Diagrams RRS feed

• Question

• I'm evaluating the new Visual Studio 11 and created a db with a couple of tables.  I've tried everything I can think of but can't get a database diagram node to show up in Server Explorer.  I've used diagrams to design my databases in VS 2005, 2008 and 2010 and would be lost if this feature is not available in 11.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Donald Hofferber

Sunday, April 1, 2012 8:26 PM

Answers

• Word back from Microsoft is that this is by design.  Databse diagrams are not supported in VS 11 using SQL 2012.  It appears that they intend for us to use SSMS to design databases from now on.

Donald Hofferber

• Marked as answer by DDHSolutions Friday, April 6, 2012 4:48 PM
    Friday, April 6, 2012 4:48 PM

All replies

• Hello Donald,

I am sorry that I can't reproduce your issue. I can get the Database Diagram node shown in the Server Explorer in VS11 Beta Ultimate Edition. See:

Which edition of VS11 Beta are you using on your side?

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 6:10 AM
  • I'm using the Pro edition with SQL 2012 and LocalDB.  I can see the node in SSMS but not VS.  It's good to see that it's intended to be there.  Very strange.

Donald Hofferber

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 4:11 PM
  • Hello Donald,

Yes, I can't get the Database Diagram node shown in the Server Explorer either when I use VS11 Beta to connect to SQL2012. I am sorry that I can't find any documents illustract it. I think you can consider opening submit one feedback on the Microsoft Connect site here:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx'

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 5:24 AM
  • Thanks for checking.  I opened a bug report at Microsoft Connect.

Donald Hofferber

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 3:39 PM
  • Word back from Microsoft is that this is by design.  Databse diagrams are not supported in VS 11 using SQL 2012.  It appears that they intend for us to use SSMS to design databases from now on.

Donald Hofferber

• Marked as answer by DDHSolutions Friday, April 6, 2012 4:48 PM
    Friday, April 6, 2012 4:48 PM
  • Any Update.  I'm also missing the "Database Diagram" node.
    Monday, July 2, 2012 6:29 PM
  • Nothing new.  I'm using SSMS to build and maintain my databases independently from Visual Studio.  Being integrated was convenient but I don't think they intend to go back to that design from here on.

Donald Hofferber

Monday, July 2, 2012 7:11 PM
  • So What can I do if I want use Database Diagrams in VS 2012.

I installed VS 2012 Express and did it install SQL 2012 at the same time?

I really can not understand why this situation occurs  >.<

Friday, February 8, 2013 7:35 AM
  • GalaxyLun, with VS 2012 Express and  SQL 2012 you cannot use Database Diagrams in VS 2012 for the reasons set out above.

Instead use SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio) which is usually installed when you install SQL 2012 and so you should already have it and is accessible on your system here C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft SQL Server 2012

If you are unsure whether your database is using SQL 2012 you can right click your database in the server explorer and select properties which will detail the version you are using. 

D

Saturday, April 6, 2013 2:44 PM
  • Ensure the database has a valid owner and then use SQL Server or Express edition to create/modify diagrams. In .Net 4.x+ we are expected to use the new Entity Framework to generate data models and manipulate diagrams.

Refer to this tutorial for an example of how to do this: http://www.asp.net/web-forms/tutorials/getting-started-with-ef/the-entity-framework-and-aspnet-getting-started-part-1

If at first you don't succeed, ask an MVP.

• Edited by PANoone Monday, August 19, 2013 12:16 AM Additions and reference added
    Monday, August 19, 2013 12:02 AM