none
Smart Card Reader rejected IOCTL 0x17 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am developing a virtual smart card reader driver and struggle with an error from Windows event log. Here is the full message:

Smart Card Reader 'MySmartCardReader' rejected IOCTL 0x17: Falscher Parameter.  If this error persists, your smart card or reader may not be functioning correctly.

Command Header: XX XX XX XX

But the driver does not get called with these IOCTL in the first place and I can't find any information about that IOCTL 0x17.

Does anyone know more about this?

Thanks in advance!

Monday, January 22, 2018 2:48 PM

Answers

• Does this cause any problems?  Or is it just an annoyance?  The SmartCard and NFC ioctls are spread through a number of different files, but none of them have an ioctl 0x17.  The smartcard ioctls in winsmcrd.h only go up to 0x10.

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 12:39 AM

All replies

• The OS will always send a series of IOCTL's when a card is detected as it tries to figure out what the card is.  There will likely always be one of two that aren't supported, which will likely be handled by smclib (if your driver is KMDF).

I would be curios if you ever attempted to run your driver through HCK under windows 8.1?

Monday, July 15, 2019 8:05 PM
  • Does this cause any problems?  Or is it just an annoyance?  The SmartCard and NFC ioctls are spread through a number of different files, but none of them have an ioctl 0x17.  The smartcard ioctls in winsmcrd.h only go up to 0x10.

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 12:39 AM