Network Monitor 3.4 Capture Statistics RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am having trouble working out something with Network Monitor 3.4

I can see how to use the filters but I cannot work out how to get total statistics.

So here are two examples.

1. Be able to capture everything sent/to and from a particular network interface.
    2. Be able to capture everything sent/to by a particular process.

So for each of the above what are the steps that I can get the statics after the capture,
    like total bytes sent, total bytes received etc?

Thanks,

Ward
    Saturday, April 2, 2011 6:54 AM

Answers

• For #1, you can use the TopUsers expert. This will break down total bytes and other stats by Ethernet, IPv4 and Ipv6 endpoints.  You can arrange things by the endpoint or by endpoint pairs.

For #2, we don't have a way to do this by process.  However you could add a column for FrameLength or TCPPayloadLength, and then select the process in the conversation tree, copy all frames to the clipboard, paste into Excel, and use Excel to calculate the total.

Paul

• Marked as answer by Paul E Long Friday, April 22, 2011 1:16 PM
    Monday, April 4, 2011 4:15 PM
  • It's important to note here for #2, that even without any apparent dropped frames, there are cases where we don't properly associate all traffic with its corresponding process.  Especially in the case of short-lived processes.  This is a limitation on where we capture in the stack and how we have to process and correlate that data using the Windows API.

Michael Hawker | Program Manager | Network Monitor
    • Marked as answer by Paul E Long Friday, April 22, 2011 1:17 PM
    Monday, April 4, 2011 6:46 PM

All replies

• For #1, you can use the TopUsers expert. This will break down total bytes and other stats by Ethernet, IPv4 and Ipv6 endpoints.  You can arrange things by the endpoint or by endpoint pairs.

For #2, we don't have a way to do this by process.  However you could add a column for FrameLength or TCPPayloadLength, and then select the process in the conversation tree, copy all frames to the clipboard, paste into Excel, and use Excel to calculate the total.

Paul

• Marked as answer by Paul E Long Friday, April 22, 2011 1:16 PM
    Monday, April 4, 2011 4:15 PM
  • It's important to note here for #2, that even without any apparent dropped frames, there are cases where we don't properly associate all traffic with its corresponding process.  Especially in the case of short-lived processes.  This is a limitation on where we capture in the stack and how we have to process and correlate that data using the Windows API.

Michael Hawker | Program Manager | Network Monitor
    • Marked as answer by Paul E Long Friday, April 22, 2011 1:17 PM
    Monday, April 4, 2011 6:46 PM
  • Hi Ward, That's a good technical query. But there are almost solutions available at internet. Here, you can get its optimal solution after clicking the following link..........Computer Parts
    Friday, April 22, 2011 6:16 AM