Implementing a TextBox for user searches... RRS feed

• Question

• User1324411562 posted

hi,

first all, sorry for my english that really blows...[:$]

i don't know how to perform the following thing in my DynamicData website. I made a custompage for an a table of my db, the Co-Worker table, and i customized the List.aspx just to scaffold correctly the table. i need in that page a textbox where the user can enter some text, for example a surname or a piece of that, and then a search button. when clicked on this button i need that the application repopulate the gridview with all the records that match with the text given by the user in the textbox.

i just saw some guidelines here, but i don't understand how to do that (also because i'm not so confident with dynamic data...):

http://blogs.catalystss.com/blogs/josh_heyse/archive/2008/05/23/a-richer-dynamicdatafilter-part-5-columncontains.aspx

and i tried to use the DynamicDataFilterRepeater without success, but it seems to me that this control is too complex for what i really need.

can someone help me to implement that textbox+search button, please?

thanx in advance...

Luca 

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 9:08 AM

All replies

• User-330204900 posted

Hi Luca (Again your english is better than my  French, Spanish or Italian so your beatting me [;)]) what you want is the Dynamic Data Filtering project from here ASP.NET Dynamic Data Filtering on codeplex there is a sample site based on AdventureWorks so that sould be a help (which you've already referanced in your post).

I'll be doing some articles in this add on feature form Jheyse in the next few weeks as I get used to it.

Hope this helps [:D]

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 12:19 PM
  • User-330204900 posted

i tried to use the DynamicDataFilterRepeater without success, but it seems to me that this control is too complex for what i really need

Hi Luca if Dynamic Data Filtering is too complex have a look at my articles on getting DynamicData Futures filters working in DynamicData here:

1. Part 1 - Getting Dynamic Data Futures filters working in a File Based Website.
    2. Part 2 - Create the AnyColumn filter from the Dynamic Data Futures Integer filter.
    3. Part 3 – Creating the AnyColumnAutocomplete filter.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 12:30 PM
  • User1324411562 posted

hi steve,

i saw the part3 and i think it solves my problem. it's not exactly what i'm looking for, but it's a good compromise. how can i modify that code to  repopulate the gridview with all the records that startswith or contains the word given in the textbox, possibly without the autocomplete?

for example: if i have 3 surnames, Bianchi, Bianchini and Bianconi, and i text "Bia" in the textbox, i want that it repopulates the gridview with all these 3 records, and not the singular record which i select from the autocomplete field.

thanx anyway, you help me a lot!

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 1:44 PM
  • User-330204900 posted

I still think that ASP.NET Dynamic Data Filtering is the best way forward but I can't give you any examples as yet, but I will see if there is a simple way to add a search box for individual columns tomorrow [:D] and post it as an example.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 1:56 PM
  • User-1005219520 posted

Hi Pozz4ever,

The Dynamic Data Roadmap shows that we will be adding the queryblock to DD sometime this year. The DynamicDataWebForms.zip  sample has a project showing how to add search with the BusinessLogicDataSource, although it doesn't use Dynamic Data. See http://quickstarts.asp.net/previews/dynamicdata/dd_AddSearchtoDynamicData.htm for information on the BusinessLogicDataSource.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 2:16 PM
  • User1324411562 posted

thank u ricka, that sounds really interesting.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 2:48 PM
  • User-330204900 posted

I've been looking through the PDC examples have alook at this How to Add Search to DynamicData

Hoep this helps [:D]

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 6:42 PM