none
Wanted suggestions for development setups for .Net using Virtual PC. RRS feed

• Question

• Wanted suggestions for development setups using Virtual PC.

Note to moderators: This seemed like the closest forum to post this question. If you feel there is a better forum, please move this message. However, this post is specifically about setting up for .NET development.

My needs are both development and learning. I have a few dozen books dating back to older versions of .NET and would like to go though that material without having to try to rewrite the code/examples mentally while studying. I would also like the freedom to have separate setups for testing, legacy, beta-software etc.

I have never used Virtual PC, but would like to to using it to help modularize my setup for easier handling and fewer conflicts. I also like the idea of being able to test beta software with a lower risk of compromising other software and being able to use System 7 with less worry about compatability issues.

I am considering using System 7 (64 bit) RTM as my primary day-to-day OS.

System specs: Core Duo E700 @ 2.8 GHz, 4GB RAM, System 7 (64-bit). Supports XP mode and hardware virtualization.

Keeping in mind that this is for development and not for production and given that I'm using the 64 bit system my questions are as follows:

What might be some ideal setups?

How do you manage this problem?

My plan (and I'd like other suggestions) is as follows:

Legacy virtual machines: Depends on the software. Possibly 2 setups likely an older server version (2000?) and XP.

Development Tools machine. I'd like to use System 7 32-bit for VS 2005/2008, expression studio, etc.

Server machine. SQL 2005/2008 and web-server. I'd like to use Server 2008.

Does this seem like a good plan...any suggestions or cautions?

Also given I have only the 4 gigs, what amounts of memory should I assign to the virtual machines?

Thanks,

sgMarshall

Monday, August 24, 2009 7:15 AM

Answers

All replies