Metro is great, but the Start Screen.. not so much.

Question

• While I love the Metro design, live tiles and all, I believe the Start Screen simply won't replace the Start Menu. Listed apps are, for me, and most likely the enterprise users, much more useful than the Start Screen, which I believe is more optimized for Tablets than for 'Desktops'. 

Will the Start Menu still be available in the final build, or do we have to use the Start Screen every single time? And, perhaps, will there be an option to integrate the Live Tiles in the desktop app?

While it's a matter of opinion, the above really holds me back from purchasing Windows 8, and surely I'm not the only one. 

Saturday, September 17, 2011 10:48 AM

All replies

• Hey there,

Thanks for your feedback and thanks for testing the Windows Developer Preview out.

Bobby

Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:51 PM
    Answerer
  • Maybe MS can re-imagine the Start Menu (with live tiles). And use Start Menu for desktop mode instead of current Start Screen.

The current experience disjointed at the moment. User is jumping from 'old' experience/model to 'new' experience/model, to and forth.

Imagine playing as Master Chief, suddenly got switch to Lara Croft then switch to Marcus Fenix then Mario Brothers ... it broke the experience consistency.

I am sure MS already has many internal debate regarding the start screen, hope my analogy help the side who want to preserve the start menu for desktop mode. Cheers.

Friday, September 23, 2011 12:44 AM
  • Yes the old startmenu is one of the Key things that seperate windows from the rest. The start button has been your old and known place to navigate trough your computer in a quick and easy manner.
    I think it's a shame that the Metro UI took over our lovely desktop experience.

Nevertheless, Metro is a great thing for tablets.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Friday, September 23, 2011 12:47 AM