none
VS 2010 Report - Freeze Columns RRS feed

• Question

• In VS 2010 Report (either on rdlc file, Tablix setting, or via the report viewer) how can I freeze the first column so that when the user scrolls to the right, he/she will be able to see the first column always.

Thanks

test
    Friday, October 1, 2010 10:05 PM

Answers

• May be I'm doing something wrong on the grouping. Getting the following message:

Error 34 The tablix 'Tablix1' has an incorrectly set FixedHeader property on the opposite hierarchy, based on the property FixedColumnHeaders of tablix. D:\SVN\MfxCostPulsing\Web\ReportRevenueCostForecastingTool.rdlc 1 

How can I send you a screenshot of this?

thanks !

test

Hi RKBNAIR,

Based on your error message, I think you must have selected some checkbox which is unnecessary. You could right-click the first column and then select Textbox Properties, make sure the checkbox of Repeat headers rows on each page is NOT selected in row headers node.

Thanks,

Challen Fu

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 2:49 AM

All replies

• Hi RKBNAIR,

Based on your information, I get that you want to keep the first column visible when you scroll the scroll-bar horizontally, if so please follow these steps:

1.     In the grouping pane, click on the small triangle and select "Advanced Mode" to show static members:

Grouping pane in advanced mode

2.     Click the corresponding (static) item of first column in the Column Groups hierarchy, and press F4 button to open the grid properties window.

3.     Set FixedData to true for repeating column.

Then you will get want you want, if you have any question about the steps, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Challen Fu

• Proposed as answer by Kaalie Friday, June 8, 2012 1:53 PM
    Monday, October 4, 2010 3:42 AM
  • May be I'm doing something wrong on the grouping. Getting the following message:

Error 34 The tablix 'Tablix1' has an incorrectly set FixedHeader property on the opposite hierarchy, based on the property FixedColumnHeaders of tablix. D:\SVN\MfxCostPulsing\Web\ReportRevenueCostForecastingTool.rdlc 1 

thanks !

test
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 6:44 PM

thanks !

test

Hi RKBNAIR,

Based on your error message, I think you must have selected some checkbox which is unnecessary. You could right-click the first column and then select Textbox Properties, make sure the checkbox of Repeat headers rows on each page is NOT selected in row headers node.

Thanks,

Challen Fu

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 2:49 AM
  • Yes, it works now. However, how can i also make the first row (which is the column headers) frozen as well?

• Edited by RKBNAIR Wednesday, October 6, 2010 1:48 PM none
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 1:19 PM
  • Hi RKBNAIR,

I am happy you solve the issue following the tips, now you want to frozen the row header, it is the same as frozening the first column. Refer to the picture in my first post, you will see the Static in the Row Groups panel, click the Static and press F4 button to open the property window, find out the FixedData, set its value to True.

If my reply help you, could you please mark it as answer. 

Thanks,

Challen Fu 

Monday, October 11, 2010 3:27 AM
  • Thanks for the help. Before closing, how can I choose multiple columns to freeze? It gives the following message as soon as I select the second 'Static' box and choose Fixed Data is True:

Error 34 The tablix 'Tablix1' contains a set of TablixMembers with FixedData set to true in the TablixColumnHierarchy which is incompatible with the cells in the TablixRow at index 0. The cells corresponding to the fixed columns must begin and end inside the range of fixed columns. D:\SVN\MfxCostPulsing\Web\ReportMonthlyCostReport.rdlc 1 

test
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 2:07 PM
  • Hi RKBNAIR,

I try to reproduce this error, but could not reproduce it, in my local environment, the result is fine, since you could make the first column to be visible when scroll the scroll bar, I think it is the same to the scecond column, so here I would recommend you reproduce the report, make sure other unrelevant checkbox is not seected. If it still does not work, you could sent your RDLC file to sqltnsp AT microsoft DOT com, With the beginning “hi Challen” .To reproduce your issue, I hope you could also attach sample data for me in the email and describe some details about the report. Once I receive your email, I will give you a feedback as soon as possible. 

Regards,

Challen Fu

Monday, October 18, 2010 8:36 AM
  • Dear Challen,

Many thanks for your help, it also reslove my problems of show the group header on every page. Just set the "RepeatOnNewPage" property to TURE

Happy new year.

Thanks again.

JianJun.

Saturday, December 31, 2011 4:36 PM
  • It worked for me too. Thanks for your help. IK
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:35 PM
  • Hi All,

I have read so many forums about this horizontal scroll issue and trying to keep one column frozen while scrolling it taking place. NONE OF THE PROPOSED SOLUTIONS WORK!!!  I don't know what you all are looking at when you run your programs.  You cannot freeze a column, PERIOD!  I've tried every proposed solution--over 10 hours of troubleshooting.  My recommendation is to save your time and stop trying to find a solution.  You will never get those hours of your life back. Report Viewer is just another failed attempt by Microsoft to provide an application that works for developers without having bugs crawling out the wazoo.  I've never experienced so much frustration working with an application like Visual Studio 2012 Professional.  Who in their right mind at Microsoft thought it was a good idea to provides features that read, "Repeat Row Headers, Repeat Column Headers, Repeat With, Fixed Row Headers, and Fixed Column Headers", and NONE OF THEM do what they are expected to do.  

Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:13 PM