SP1 Beta Install Reports Success But Doesn't Install ADO.NET Entity Data Model or Data Service Designer Files RRS feed

• Question

• An install on one test machine running Vista Ultimate as Administrator with UAC off reported success, and installed the following runtime files and GAC assemblies (per Sanjay's list):

EF runtime files:

%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\EdmGen.exe

%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Microsoft.Data.Entity.Build.Tasks.dll

%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Microsoft.Data.Entity.targets

%programfiles%\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.5\System.Data.Entity.dll

%programfiles%\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.5\System.Data.Entity.Design.dll

And also in the GAC:

gacutil /l System.Data.Entity

gacutil /l System.Data.Entity.Design

Installer failed to install the following designer and template files  (per Sanjay's list):

Entity Designer files:

%programfiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\Microsoft.Data.Entity.Design.dll

%programfiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\Microsoft.Data.Entity.Design.EntityDesigner.dll

%programfiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\Microsoft.Data.Entity.Design.Package.dll

%programfiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\Microsoft.Data.Tools.XmlDesignerBase.dll

Item templates

%programfiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\CSharp\Data\1033\AdoNetEntityDataModelCSharp.zip

%programfiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\VisualBasic\Data\1033\AdoNetEntityDataModelVB.zip

%programfiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\Web\CSharp\1033\AdoNetEntityDataModelCSharp_ASPNET.zip

%programfiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\Web\VisualBasic\1033\AdoNetEntityDataModelVB_ASPNET.zip

AdoNetDataServiceCSharpWebsite.zip and AdoNetDataServiceVBWebsite.zip were also missing.

The final message says installation succeeded and log files say the same thing. However, SP1 line was not added to the Help | About box. Could not do an uninstall, so tried reinstalling a few times with no better success.

Update: I forgot to mention that I uninstalled the Beta 3 ADO.NET Data Services and Entity Framework bits before installation, in addition to the Silverlight detritus.

The only thing strange about the install was that uninstalling the KV949325 update after removing the Silverlight 2 SDK and Tools components didn't remove the item from Vista's list. However, trying uninstall again opens a "The patch is not applied to this product" message. Install succeeded on other machines that did not have Silverlight 2 beta bits installed.

Filed a Connect bug (344080) with collected log files.

Is there any way to overcome this problem?

--rj

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 6:15 PM

Answers

• I decided to start over from scratch by removing my VS 2008 RTM installation and the entire Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0 folder. I also removed the previously unremovable KB949325 and KB945855 HotFixes manually by deleting all their Registry references. Reinstalling VS 2008 RTM and SP1 Beta proceeded without a hitch and ADO.NET Entity Data Model and ADO.NET Data Services templates and libraries appeared and worked as expected.

Lot of effort to install a beta.

--rj

Monday, May 19, 2008 7:35 PM

All replies

•  

Three people have validated the Connect bug (344080) so far. I'm hoping the SP1 team has a method of restoring the original RTM bits or forcing installation of the template files because this instance isn't virtual. (It's used for performance testing.)
    Friday, May 16, 2008 2:33 PM
  • I decided to start over from scratch by removing my VS 2008 RTM installation and the entire Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0 folder. I also removed the previously unremovable KB949325 and KB945855 HotFixes manually by deleting all their Registry references. Reinstalling VS 2008 RTM and SP1 Beta proceeded without a hitch and ADO.NET Entity Data Model and ADO.NET Data Services templates and libraries appeared and worked as expected.

Lot of effort to install a beta.

--rj

Monday, May 19, 2008 7:35 PM
  • I figured it out.

I needed to remove KB946581 and then reinstalled SP1 Beta and it worked!

KB946581 is a "A cumulative update for Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Web Developer Express 2008"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946581

And it also looks like SP1 Beta reinstalls KB946581 for you.

I hope this helps others.

P.S. "%programfiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0" represents where you installed Visual Studio 2008. 

For me it was D:\VS2008

Thursday, May 22, 2008 8:48 AM
  • I dont see this KB946581 in the list of files even after i install SP1.

My problem remains that even after successful message from SP1 ADO.NET Entity Data Model item template are not available in the templates folder. The rest of the dll's are available though.

its becoming more and more difficult to get started with latest technology produced my Microsoft ... If anyone has figured out something please share.

Thanks

Sunday, June 29, 2008 2:59 PM