none
How to overcome .net download error during setup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

We have a .NET 3.5 SP1 WPF application that we deploy to our costumers using a setup and deployment project in Visual Studio.

In order to make things easier to our costumers, we provide in a specifc URL path for the setup.exe file and the .msi file.

As the .net 3.5 is a prerequisite for the app to run, the setup.exe properly detects when it is missing form the costumer PC and ask to start the instalation.

This works fine for most of our costumer, but, for some of them, the download fails with the following message:

An error occurred downloading the following resource:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=37283 (something similar to this path).

I suspect that some costumer have firewalls or anti-virus programs that block file download trought a non autorized program.

Most of our costumer have dificulties to install the application and they actually don´t know anything about internet security or deployment process, so they expect the installtion to be an easy process.

I would like top hear from you could be really causing this and how do you suggest to workaround this issue, so the user don't have to bother about prerequisites instalation.

Kindly Regards,

Igor.

Project Manager at INOVATIVA Tecnologia www.inovativatec.com
    Friday, March 5, 2010 1:10 AM

Answers

• Hi Igor,

Thank you for your explanation. I can understand the scenario that you came across better.

This is enough for the application to be sucessfully installed (I've tried by myself several times). But, in some scenarios, when the costumer have all prerequisites intalled also, there is an error when the setup.exe tries to download the app.msi file. But the error message does not explain why the file could not be download. As many users do not experience this problem, I believe there´s something on the client enviroment that is blocking the setup.exe program to download te app.msi file.

I would like to know why and what can I do to avoid this...

What do you suggest?

Based on the description on how you deployed this application, it looks that the steps should be correct.
    For good explanation on the steps, please check Jie's reply in the following thread:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winformssetup/thread/6f0a5b36-509a-49c5-8215-5efeba5f7c52

Thus, the cause would incline to the network on your customer's machine.

Frankly speaking, it could be hard to say what the root cause would be since there would be many causes for it to happen like the Firewall or security policy.

To avoid network issue, I think that one simple way is to distribute your application on physical media like CD\DVD or local machine to bypass the network.
    For more information on deployment Via Distributable Media, please check: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/82cs8ad6.aspx

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, March 17, 2010 3:10 AM
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 6:12 AM
  • Hi Igor,

Thank you for your reply.

Distributing the application on physical media is not a feaseable option to our market. This is a good technical solution, but a not so good business solution. In fact, we are in 2010 and not beeing able to distribute an applicaiton across the internet (a simple application like this one) is not very up to date in my opinion. So, that´s why I'm here to ask for some help.

1 - What port the setup.exe program uses to download external files (like the .msi file) ?

2 - What about proxies. Is the setup.exe able to download files from a proxy?

3 - What security policies should be blocking this download?

4 - Where I can get more information about this setup project internals to find out this information?

For your concern on network setting, I'm not quite familiar with that. Sorry for that!

This forum is for the support of .NET Framework installation. After some clarification, to get better support and help, I think that the better consulting place should be ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects forum. It's the specific forum for Setup Project. This will be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thank you for your understanding.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 5:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Igor,

When we deploy our application via one setup project, in the Prerequisites dialog box, we can choose:

- If we want to deploy the installers for the prerequisites to a vendor (Microsoft), click Download prerequisites from the component vendor's web site.
    - If we want to deploy the installers for the prerequisites to the same location as your application installer, click Download prerequisites from the same location as my application.
    - If we want to deploy the installers for the prerequisites to a different location, click Download prerequisites from the following location and enter a local path, URL, or file-share location.

For your concern, you can try the option "Download prerequisites from the same location as my application". This option will pack the installers of the prerequisites with your application. For this option to work, the prerequisite packages must be on the development computer. Then your customers don't need to download the installers from the web site.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Friday, March 5, 2010 6:24 AM
  • Hi Igor,

Does the above suggestion work?

If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Monday, March 8, 2010 3:23 AM
  • Hello Yichun Chen,

Thank you for the reply back.

Today, I choose the Download prerequisites from the component vendor's web site option. Then, I upload on the internet the setup.exe and msi generated files.

The final user will download from the internet the setup.exe file only. On the setup and deployment project I have set the "installation URL" property exactlly to the place where I uploaded the msi file.

The problems my customers are experiencing happens both when the installation program tries to download the prerequisites when some of them are not installed, BUT it also happens when the setup program tries to download the .msi file also (no pre requisites to install).

So, I think something is stopping or blocking the setup program to download external files (no matter if they are pre requisites or the .msi file).

I think that changing the location for the pre requisites will not solve my problem.

What do you think?

Igor.
    Monday, March 8, 2010 1:36 PM
  • Hi Igor,

For the option "Download prerequisites from the component vendor's web site", we can find that "InstallURL" of .NET 3.5 is http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=76617. When I opened this link on my machine, the link might be redirected to other website to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa569263.aspx. It seems that the URL to download .NET 3.5 has been changed. Thus, it will not automatically download and install .NET 3.5 prerequisite as you want to. Sorry for inconvenience!

Based on your description, it seems that you want to perform web install of your application instead of local install.
    If yes, you could try the option "Download prerequisites from the following location" and specify the URL to download .NET 3.5.
    (FYI: The URL could be http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/0/f/60fc5854-3cb8-4892-b6db-bd4f42510f28/dotnetfx35.exe.)

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 5:46 AM
  • Hi Igor,

If any problem, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:04 AM
  • Hello YiChun Chen,

Thank you for the reply back, but I'm not able to express my question correctly. Let me try in a different approach:

Please ignore the prerequisites issue. Imagine that my application installation files are the setup.exe and app.msi files.

I upload both files to the internet and when a costumer wants to install my application, It donwloads and runs the setup.exe file only.

On the setup project (that generated the mentioned files above), I set the installation URL file to the location where the app.msi file is uploaded (on the internet).

This is enough for the application to be sucessfully installed (I've tried by myself several times). But, in some scenarios, when the costumer have all prerequisites intalled also, there is an error when the setup.exe tries to download the app.msi file. But the error message does not explain why the file could not be download. As many users do not experience this problem, I believe there´s something on the client enviroment that is blocking the setup.exe program to download te app.msi file.

What do you suggest?

Kindly Regards,

Igor.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:42 PM
  • Hi Igor,

Thank you for your explanation. I can understand the scenario that you came across better.

What do you suggest?

Based on the description on how you deployed this application, it looks that the steps should be correct.
    For good explanation on the steps, please check Jie's reply in the following thread:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winformssetup/thread/6f0a5b36-509a-49c5-8215-5efeba5f7c52

Thus, the cause would incline to the network on your customer's machine.

Frankly speaking, it could be hard to say what the root cause would be since there would be many causes for it to happen like the Firewall or security policy.

To avoid network issue, I think that one simple way is to distribute your application on physical media like CD\DVD or local machine to bypass the network.
    For more information on deployment Via Distributable Media, please check: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/82cs8ad6.aspx

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 6:12 AM
  • Hello Yichun,

Thank you for the reply back.

This is exactly what I mean. I'm using the Installatio URL as described int the first link you suggested. It works most of the time, but it also happens several times in potential customers.

I agree with when you say that many network or security policy issues might be the reason for the .msi file download failing and it is hard to know why. But I would like to know a bit more about that.

Distributing the application on physical media is not a feaseable option to our market. This is a good technical solution, but a not so good business solution. In fact, we are in 2010 and not beeing able to distribute an applicaiton across the internet (a simple application like this one) is not very up to date in my opinion. So, that´s why I'm here to ask for some help.

1 - What port the setup.exe program uses to download external files (like the .msi file) ?

4 - Where I can get more information about this setup project internals to find out this information?

If I have the opportunity to help my customer set their network infra-estructure to properly install my application, I would like to know what to do...

Thanks in advance,

Igor.

PS: Maybe this thread should be moved to another forum, more general to Setup and Deployment Projects....

Thursday, March 11, 2010 2:21 PM
  • Hi Igor,

For your concern on network setting, I'm not quite familiar with that. Sorry for that!

This forum is for the support of .NET Framework installation. After some clarification, to get better support and help, I think that the better consulting place should be ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects forum. It's the specific forum for Setup Project. This will be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thank you for your understanding.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Friday, March 12, 2010 5:43 AM
  • Hi Igor,

If any problem, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Monday, March 15, 2010 2:56 AM
  • Hi Igor,

I've marked my reply as answer. If you have any concern, you can unmark my reply and let me know.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 3:09 AM