Excel 2003 Pivot Table SSAS 2005 Transport Layer Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I am using Excel 2003 PivotTable (on a Windows XP machine) and connecting to a SSAS (SS2K5) cube on a Windows 2003 64-bit server.

When I set-up the connection (new database query etc in Excel 2003),  I do NOT specify a particular Windows domain userid X and password (i.e. I am using Windows Authentication). I have set-up a Cube role with "admin" privileges and added the userid X to the role.

I log-on to the domain as userid X. I connect using PivotTable (set-up new database query etc) and I click OK when asked whether to save my connection details to a file.

When I connect for the first time then I can access the cube ok everytime. But, when I exit Excel and then re-open the worksheet and then try to refresh the data in the PivotTable then I usually (but not every time) get the error message:-

"An error was encountered in the Transport layer"

followed by:-

"Errors in the OLE DB provider. An error occurred while loading the connection dialog box component for prompting"

I have looked at the various "security" settings within Excel and noticed the PivotTable option:- Table Options
    and within it the option: External Data Options -> Save password  (default: un-checked)
    I checked this option.

After that, I rarely get the error again ... i.e. but it still happens occasionally, so ...

Does anybody know what is causing this error, please?

Does anybody know how to eliminate this error, please?!

Many Thanks.

AB
    Friday, January 9, 2009 12:52 PM

Answers

• Just to say that I have been informed that SQL Server 2005 SP3 may (repeat: MAY !!!) have fixed this problem.
    AB
    • Marked as answer by AndyBXXX Tuesday, September 1, 2009 11:17 AM
    Monday, July 6, 2009 9:40 AM