Troubleshooting ''The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send" Errors? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using this server for quite some time; this morning I was unable to log onto it and the Event Log from the TFS machine was filled with these errors. Using Beta 3 Refresh...

Here is the output from the Event Log:

Event Type:    Error
    Event Source:    Tfs
    Event Category:    None
    Event ID:    3000
    Date:        1/25/2006
    Time:        8:51:31 AM
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    [my computer name]
    Description:
    An unexpected condition has occurred in a Team Foundation component. The information contained here should be made available to your site administrative staff.
    Technical Information (for the administrative staff):
    Date (UTC): 1/25/2006 1:51:31 PM
    Machine: [my computer name]
    Application Domain: TFSServerScheduler.exe
    Assembly: Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Common, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a; v2.0.50727
    Process Details:
      Process Name: TFSServerScheduler
      Process Id: 1348
      Thread Id: 3712
      Account name: [my computer name]\TFSSERVICE

Detailed Message: http://[my computer name]:8080/Warehouse/v1.0/WarehouseController.asmx   System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. ---> System.IO.IOException: Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
       at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Send(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
       at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       at System.Net.PooledStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       at System.Net.ConnectStream.WriteHeaders(Boolean async)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.HttpWebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Client.TeamFoundationSoapProxy.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Server.Scheduler.TeamSystemTaskWsdl.GetNextInterval(Int32 lastInterval)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Server.Scheduler.RunClient.GetNextInterval(Int32 lastInterval)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Server.Scheduler.RunClient.Schedule()

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Wednesday, January 25, 2006 2:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Cappy,

So you arent able to connect to this server using Team Explorer at all? 

Can you check if the web services are up?  Open up IIS Manager, and in the tree control to the left, navigate to [your computer name]\Web Sites\Team Foundation Server and browse the .asmx  files that are in the folders underneath.  You can start with "services\v1.0\ServerStatus.asmx".  Please let us know of any errors that occur when you browse the different web services.

TFSServerScheduler.exe runs every hour or so to upload data into the warehouse.  However if the web services for Team Foundation are down, then it wont be able to do that. Are you able to see any other errors in between or before all of the ones about the TFSServerScheduler.exe ?

thanks, mauli

Friday, January 27, 2006 10:26 PM