none
[MS-OXCFXICS] Restrictions in RopSynchronizationConfigure RRS feed

• Question

• G'day,

[MS-OXCFXICS] Section 2.2.3.2.1.1 RopSynchronizationConfigure contains a description of part of the request fields that looks like:

RestrictionDataSize (2 bytes): An unsigned 16-bit integer that specifies the length of the RestrictionData field. MUST be set to "0x0000" if SynchronizationType is set to Hierarchy ("0x02").
    RestrictionData (variable): The variable-length restriction structure, which is used to select the data to be synchronized. This value contributes to the synchronization scope. This field is used in contents synchronization only. The value MUST be set to "0" if SynchronizationType is set to Hierarchy ("0x02"). For more details about restrictions, see [MS-OXCDATA].

Comment: It might be useful to include the wording in MS-OXCROPS Section 2.2.13.1.1 that indicates that the size is in bytes, and that the RestrictionData is a single restriction that is used to filter the content that is downloaded.

Question: If the SynchronizationType is set to Hierarchy ("0x02"), then the RestrictionDataSize is required to be set to 0x0000. From that, I'd infer that the length of the RestrictionData is zero (i.e. it isn't included). If that is the case, how can the RestrictionData be set to 0?

Brad

Saturday, December 18, 2010 3:16 AM

Answers

• Brad, I have concluded my research. The description for RestrictionData in Section 2.2.3.2.1.1 is incorrect. If SynchronizationType is set to Hierarchy (0x02) RestrictionDataSize MUST be set to 0x0000 and RestrictionData will NOT be present at all. I have filed a request to have the document updated.
    Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | US-CSS DSC Protocols Team
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Brad,

Thank you for your question.  Someone from my team will contact you soon.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team
    Monday, December 20, 2010 6:01 AM
  • Brad, I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon. Thank you for your patience.
    Monday, December 20, 2010 6:48 PM
  • Brad, I have concluded my research. The description for RestrictionData in Section 2.2.3.2.1.1 is incorrect. If SynchronizationType is set to Hierarchy (0x02) RestrictionDataSize MUST be set to 0x0000 and RestrictionData will NOT be present at all. I have filed a request to have the document updated.
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:29 PM
  • Josh,

Thanks for this. Appreciated as always.

Brad

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:15 PM