none
Microsoft Visual Studio Community license

Question

• Hi.

I was hired for a project to do with Unity (free edition, in case it matters) and I am working at it with them.

I din't sign a contract, and for now I am just collaborating: I do not know how much I wil be paid yet.

Yesterday I installed Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 Community edition and I set it as the default editor in Unity, since debugging in VS is just awesome, as we all know.

So, my problem is: am I allowed to keep working at this project using Visual Studio as my eidtor?

The lince says:

> If you are an individual working on your own applications to sell or for any other purpose, you may use the software to develop and test those applications.

Now, I am an individual, but this project is not really "my own", although I am working at it.

But, the license doesn't either explicitly forbid me from using Visual Studio in other scenarios.

In the "Organizational License", I can read:

> If none of the above apply, and you are also not an enterprise (defined below), then up to 5 of your individual users can use the software concurrently to develop and test your applications.

However, it doesn't really explain what it means by "your individual users".

I didn't join any organization, so can I use Visual Studio Community in this scenario?

I don't see any term of the license forbidding it, but I also don't see it explicitly allowed.

Assuming the team I am working with is not an enterprise, can I use it?

And what if it is an enterprise?

EDIT: Ok, I checked: the team I am working with has far less than 250 people (it's not an enterprise) and we are in less than 5 to be writing code (currently just me, actually).
    • Edited by Aspie96 Saturday, March 11, 2017 12:41 PM
    Saturday, March 11, 2017 12:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Aspie96,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

From the Visual Studio Community 2017 Pre-release software license terms we can know the following information about who can install and use the VS community 2017:

a. Individual License. If you are an individual working on your own applications, you may use the software to develop and test those applications. 

b. Organization Licenses. If you are an organization, your users may use the software as follows:

• Any number of your users may use the software to develop and test your applications released under Open Source Initiative (OSI) approved open source software licenses.
    • Any number of your users may use the software to develop and test extensions to Visual Studio.
    • Any number of your users may use the software to develop and test your applications as part of online or in person classroom training and education, or for performing academic research.
    • If none of the above apply, and you are also not an enterprise (defined below), then up to 5 of your individual users can use the software concurrently to develop and test your applications.
    • If you are an enterprise, your employees and contractors may not use the software to develop or test your applications, except for open source and education purposes as permitted above. An “enterprise” is any organization and its affiliates who collectively have more than (a) 250 PCs or users and (b) one million dollars (or the equivalent in other currencies) in annual revenues, and “affiliates” means those entities that control (via majority ownership), are controlled by, or are under common control with an organization.

>> EDIT: Ok, I checked: the team I am working with has far less than 250 people (it's not an enterprise) and we are in less than 5 to be writing code (currently just me, actually).

As far as I know, your team are not an enterprise that defined as above, so up to 5 of your individual users can use the software concurrently to develop and test your applications. Per your description, now you are the only one developer to use the VS community 2017 and you can continue to use it to develop and test your applications in your scenario.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Sunday, March 12, 2017 6:30 AM