SQL Mobile Installation Problem on Device RRS feed

• Question

• I have been unable to properly install SQL Mobile 2005 on my armv4i windows CE 5 device.  Below is a summary of what I have found and done.  Any help in resolving my issue will be appreaciated.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Symptoms:

No errors occur during installation of SQL Mobile on the device via cab files (either deployed through VS2005 or manually copied and installed on the device)

SQL Mobile 2005 appears to be installed, can see it in the device remove programs list.  All 7 SQL Mobile dll files are present in the windows folder. (sqlceca30.dll, sqlcecompact30.dll, sqlceer30en.dll, sqlceme30.dll, sqlceoledb30.dll, sqlceqp30.dll, sqlcese30.dll - version for all files is 3.0.5206).

The following error occurs when attempting to create a new or open an existing database using SQL Mobile query analyzer on the device  - "Failed to initialize the provider. Please make sure that SQL Server Mobile Edition is properly installed".

Problem is not isolated to SQL Mobile query analyzer, a similar problem occurs when attempting to instantiate SQL objects from within a C#.Net smart device test program - "Can't find PInvoke DLL 'sqlceme30.dll'.

Problem is not solved by copying SQL Mobile dll files to program folders.

No registry entries exist for any of the 7 SQL Mobile dll files under the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

None of the dll files for SQL Mobile can be registered manually via the regsrvce.exe program. The error code c1 is returned - invalid win32 application (Note SQL CE 2.0 dll files can be successfully registered via this program).

Background:

The desktop used for development is running Windows 2000 sp4. The develpment enviroment is Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition (version 8.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200). The version of the Microsoft .NET Framework installed is 2.0.50727. The programming language is C#.NET. The device is a 64 MEG Armv4i device running a custom image of windows CE5. The CE5 image was created by Platform Builder with all QFE's through 2005 applied.NET Compact Framework version 1.0.4292 and SQL CE version 2.0 are included as part of the image (both are in ROM).   .NET Compact Framework version 2.0.5238 and SQL CE Mobile are installed via CAB files in the order defined below:

netcfv2.wce5.armv4i.cab

sqlce30.wce5.armv4i.cab

sqlce30.rep.wce5.armv4i.cab

sqlce30.dev.ENU.wce5.armv4i.cab

system_SR_ENU.cab

Thursday, January 26, 2006 1:37 PM

Answers

• I have fixed the "Can't find PInvoke DLL 'sqlceme30.dll' problem copying the following files to the Windows directory of my Mobile Device and installing them:

sqlce30.dev.ENU.phone.wce5.armv4i.CAB
    sqlce30.phone.wce5.armv4i.CAB
    sqlce30.repl.phone.wce5.armv4i.CAB
    Wednesday, April 5, 2006 7:57 AM
  • Glad that you all have solved and things are working. Thanks for using SQL Mobile.

Thanks,

Laxmi Narsimha Rao ORUGANTI, MSFT, SQL Mobile, Microsoft Corporation

Thursday, February 2, 2006 8:55 AM

All replies

• Just to narrow down the problem, can you please try these if possible:

1) Build the custom image with Platform builder with out SQL CE 2.0 in ROM (Having .NET CF 1.x is upto you)

2) Are you trying to install on a CF/SD/Memory Card?  If so, can you please try installing the SQL Mobile 3.0 on main memory?

Thanks,

Monday, January 30, 2006 7:18 AM
  • Thank you for your response. 

Item 1 - Have already tried this, I get the same result whether SQL CE 2.0 is in my image or not. 

Item 2 - I am trying to install SQL Mobile in main memory.

Do you have any other  suggestions?

Monday, January 30, 2006 1:41 PM
  • I am having this exact same issue with a Dell X51v running Windows Mobile 5. ("Can't find PInvoke DLL 'sqlceme30.dll'.)

I am developing in VS2005 and SQL 2005 Mobile. When using a 2003 Second Edition device I can start debugging from the dev environment and everything (CF, SQL) gets installed on the device automatically. It just works.

With the WM 5.0 (Dell) the framework gets installed but not SQL Server. I tried manually installing SQL Server and like above post I get "Failed to initialize the provider.."

Any ideas?
    Monday, January 30, 2006 9:38 PM
  • I solved my own problem. VS is sending the cab files for SQL Mobile into the Windows folder on the device but isn't/can't install them. I ran them (5 cab files) from the device and now it works.
    Monday, January 30, 2006 10:21 PM
  • Problem Solved!!

Our problem turned out to be the same issue that Mika Laaksonen posted and solved last November.

Below are the details of what we found and how it was solved.

SQL CE 3.0 is not available as a feature in PlatformBuilder 5.0 (PB) and consequently must be installed via .cab files. In our case, installing the .cab files was not successful but the problem was not obvious. Upon investigation we found that the Registry did not have the expected entries.

Creating a Debug configuration of the CE image and launching it via PB, we were able to see the following two errors during the installation of the .cab files:

ERROR: function @ Ordinal 405910 missing in Module 'ole32.dll'

ERROR: function @ Ordinal 190620 missing in Module 'ole32.dll'

Combining a little deduction with some guesswork we fixed the problem by including the following PB catalog feature in our image:

Applications and Services Development -> Component Services -> Component Object Model -> COM -> CoCreateGuid functionality for OLE32

The same feature is available under Minimal COM but we didn't try it.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 4:58 PM
  • Glad that you all have solved and things are working. Thanks for using SQL Mobile.

Thanks,

Thursday, February 2, 2006 8:55 AM
  • Hi Lami,

can you give me detailed steps of how to do the following

Regards

venkat.

"Our problem turned out to be the same issue that Mika Laaksonen posted and solved last November.

Below are the details of what we found and how it was solved.

SQL CE 3.0 is not available as a feature in PlatformBuilder 5.0 (PB) and consequently must be installed via .cab files. In our case, installing the .cab files was not successful but the problem was not obvious. Upon investigation we found that the Registry did not have the expected entries.

Creating a Debug configuration of the CE image and launching it via PB, we were able to see the following two errors during the installation of the .cab files:

ERROR: function @ Ordinal 405910 missing in Module 'ole32.dll'

ERROR: function @ Ordinal 190620 missing in Module 'ole32.dll'

Combining a little deduction with some guesswork we fixed the problem by including the following PB catalog feature in our image:

Applications and Services Development -> Component Services -> Component Object Model -> COM -> CoCreateGuid functionality for OLE32

The same feature is available under Minimal COM but we didn't try it."

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 7:49 AM
  • The content has everything. In platform builder, include the following PB catalog feature with the image:

What more details you want?  May be I did not get your question.  Can you please elaborate?

Thanks,

Thursday, March 2, 2006 4:56 AM
  • Hi Laxmi,

I got the problem with Pocket PC 2003 Phone edition not with windows mobile 5. I am using Visual Studio 2005 to do the test deployment on my pocket pc. I have no clue about platform builder. Kindly help me out with this.

Regards

Venkat

Thursday, March 2, 2006 6:40 AM
  • 1) Are you trying to install SQL Mobile on storage card.  Try installing on main memory.

2) Also, can you please install SQL Mobile bits manually on the device/emulator and see if the problem goes off.  You can get the SQL Mobile binaries from

%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SmartDevices\SDK\SQL Server\Mobile\v3.0\wce400\armv4

3) Open Query Analyzer and try creating the database, are you able to?

Thanks,

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 8:37 AM
  • I have fixed the "Can't find PInvoke DLL 'sqlceme30.dll' problem copying the following files to the Windows directory of my Mobile Device and installing them:

sqlce30.dev.ENU.phone.wce5.armv4i.CAB
    sqlce30.phone.wce5.armv4i.CAB
    sqlce30.repl.phone.wce5.armv4i.CAB
    Wednesday, April 5, 2006 7:57 AM
  • Hi,

I see you suggest installing SQL Mobile 3.0 to main memory instead of to the storage card.  Can you tell me why this may cause errors?

Thanks

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 5:54 PM
  • ...and what, if I don´t have "PlatformBuilder"?
    What is the "real fix"?

On my WinMob. 5.0 device everything is properly installed:
    SQL Mobile 2005, Query Analyzer, Database. Query Analyzer is working, I can execute SQL-Statements against the database. No problem.
    sqlceme30.dl and all the other dlls are located in \\Windows-Folder.

But the error is still the same: "Can not find PInvoke-DLL 'sqlceme30.dll'"
    And now?

Thanks for your hints.
    Mike
    Tuesday, July 18, 2006 1:57 PM
  • I am having the exact same problem on my O2 XDA II mini running Windows Mobile 2003 SE.  I tried everything in this thread but still no luck.

I would appreciate your help.

Thursday, August 3, 2006 3:24 AM
  • this problem also occurs if a debug session hangs.

there is no reason to reinstall.  doing a reset on the device allows it to work fine.  this is really a bug that needs to be addressed. obviously, a dll is being held on to so the deployment from vs2005 fails.

Thursday, September 7, 2006 4:19 PM
  • PROBLEM SOLVED:

I have same problem. Can't find PInvoke DLL 'sqlceme30.dll'

I just installed the "sqlce30.wce5.armv4i.CAB" file in my Windows Mobile 5.0 device.

Thanks for your precious post.

Regards,

Rajasekar Nammalvar Orakanti

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 3:24 PM
  • Installing sqlce30.wce5.armv4i.CAB ,found on my computer, to the WM5 device worked!!!
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 4:50 PM
  • Hi,
    i faced same problem today and finaly found solution!
    I use PPC2003 + SQL Mobile 3.0 + .NET CF 2.0 SP1

When installing sql mobile on device without .Net Framework it DOES NOT install sqlceme30.dll !!!
    So you must first install .Net Framework and then install (or reinstall) SQL Mobile.

This is realy odd behaviour, i hope it will be fixed in some new releases...

Monday, February 4, 2008 4:53 PM
  • Hi,

I have a similar issue.

I am using a HP iPAQ 314 device which has Windows ce 5.0 core. I installed the following cab files to install .net 2.0 and sqlserverce 3.5:

(in order)
    NETCFv2.wce5.armv4i.cab
    sqlce.wce5.armv4i.CAB
    sqlce.repl.wce5.armv4i.CAB
    sqlce.dev.ENU.wce5.armv4i.CAB

I have also tried install the .net 2.0 SP1 before installing any of the sql cabs.

and the "ISQLW Error, Failed to initialize the provider" appears when using Query Anaylzer. In a simple .net test application the error is "Can't PInvoke DLL 'sqlceme35.dll'"

Am I missing something or is there anything else I could try?

Thanks,

Louis

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 1:20 PM
  • Hi,

Quick follow-up – we’re a Microsoft Certified partner and tried to get a Technical Support call raised for helping us with this.

The Microsoft Rep who took the call said that Microsoft tech support said we have to go back to the device manufacturer with this (Microsoft will not provide support for the issue). As this is HP, I’m sure they are not SQL Server Compact 3.5 experts…

Does anyone in the forum know of a useful (and sympathetic) Microsoft contact who may be able to advise?

Thanks,

Louis

Thursday, July 24, 2008 7:50 AM
  •  

Hi,

I know this thread is a bit old, but I have the same problem that is described here. I read and I do not understand the answer to that concern when they say PB and a route to a COM. Question: If I'm from VS2005 how can I include these features in my project to solve this problem?

Thanks ..
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 8:18 PM