Crash in Native WebView control - Windows 8.1 app

Question

• Hi 

I am observing a crash in Webview Control on Windows 8.1 app. I am developing the app with XAML and C#. When I am navigating to "sign in" page in ebay.com or amazon.com the app got crashed. The exception given at that time is "Unhandled exception at 0x5FF42618 (Windows.UI.Xaml.dll): 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000". I tried the same in the webview sample provided for developers by Microsoft community and the app still crashed in it. I have tried handling the Unhandled Exception in my App class but the exception is not caught there also. And the exception is also not caught in the browser page. 

Any help to work around this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Abhishek 

Friday, January 30, 2015 11:22 AM

Answers

• Hi Abhishek - this is a known bug.  I don't have a workaround at this time.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, January 30, 2015 3:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Abhishek - this is a known bug.  I don't have a workaround at this time.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, January 30, 2015 3:00 PM
  • Hi Matt

Thank you very much for giving your time. Is workaround this issue coming out soon in some releases (bug fixes) ? Or, Would it be fixed on Windows 10 release? 

Thanks & Regards,

Abhishek Jindal

Monday, February 9, 2015 5:07 AM
  • I hope so.

Monday, February 9, 2015 2:38 PM
  • Hi Matt

The same thing is working in other apps on windows store. Some of the apps I have tested are: LockIt & AP Easy Password Safe. Is there anything I am missing here? Because the native webview is not crashing in the above two specified applications. If a workaround is available around this issue then please let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Abhishek Jindal

Monday, March 9, 2015 12:29 PM
  • Hi 

I am observing a crash in Webview Control on Windows 8.1 app. I am developing the app with XAML and C#. When I am navigating to "sign in" page in ebay.com or amazon.com the app got crashed. The exception given at that time was "Unhandled exception at 0x5FF42618 (Windows.UI.Xaml.dll): 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000". I tried the same in the webview sample provided for developers by Microsoft community and the app also crashed in it. I have tried handling the Unhandled Exception in my App class but the exception is not caught even there also. And the exception is also not caught in the browser page. 

The same thing is working in other apps on windows store. Some of the apps I have tested are: LockIt & AP Easy Password Safe. Is there anything I am missing here? Because the native webview is not crashing in the above two specified applications. Any help to work around this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Abhishek 

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 4:57 AM
  • I saw that you posted this same information below the previous post where I explained that this is a known issue in WebView. Comparing this to other apps isn't useful because you don't know how their apps work. The exception isn't caught because it's not a managed exception, but a native Windows error code. 
    Yo may want to try this same procedure in an HTML app to see if it reproduces there.

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 4:05 PM
  • Thanks Matt, I am eagerly waiting for this issue to be fixed. As my app's brownie point is missing out without browser.
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 7:59 AM