Expression Web 4.0 and wmv files RRS feed

• Question

• Maybe I'm too simple to understand all that I read when I reviewed your answers.

Using Expression Web 4.0; IE 10, Windows 7.

I have successfully embedded the video (actually, two) in my web page -- except ... they don't run.

The browser returns a Windows Media error C00D11B1. I've checked all the things it says to check.

The .wmv files works fine when I access it (them) directly using Windows Media.  They were created on this computer using PowerPoint 2010. I am able to successfully send the file(s) to others and they are able to play them successfully on their computers.

Do I have some Active-X switch set wrong or where else should I start looking?

Sort of at my "wits end" at the moment. 

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:39 AM

Answers

• Maybe we're not psychic enough to answer your question without being able to analyze your source code to see if we can spot errors in your video's object/embed declaration. Please post a link to the published page so that we can examine your markup and CSS in situ, and bring to bear our Web developer tools to see if we can discern your error.

Ordinarily, I would ask why you didn't read the Forum FAQs and Guidelines - Start Here, but the sticky for that seems to have currently gone the way of the winds. Please read them now, and note that the very first guideline asks you to post a link to your problem page when asking a question. Thank you.

<edit>
    Did you google the exact message? https://www.google.com/search?q=Windows+Media+error+C00D11B1&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a Turns out that there are several sources for this error, precisely zero of which have anything to do with EW. Just sayin'...
    </edit>

cheers,

scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Edited by paladyn Tuesday, June 25, 2013 3:36 AM fuck you in the ass, unlubricated. I don't need to tell you a fucking thing.
    • Marked as answer by rpeastman Tuesday, June 25, 2013 4:54 AM
    Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:52 AM
  • http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_videos.asp

Windows MVP, XP, Vista, 7 and 8. More people have climbed Everest than having 3 MVP's on the wall.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 1:12 AM
  • Sorry to lead you down that path ...

When I posted the code snippet above to you ... I saw the coding error. I went back and fixed it ... and viola -- it's working. Not sure how the error occurred -- but the problem seems resolved.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 4:54 AM

All replies

• Maybe we're not psychic enough to answer your question without being able to analyze your source code to see if we can spot errors in your video's object/embed declaration. Please post a link to the published page so that we can examine your markup and CSS in situ, and bring to bear our Web developer tools to see if we can discern your error.

Ordinarily, I would ask why you didn't read the Forum FAQs and Guidelines - Start Here, but the sticky for that seems to have currently gone the way of the winds. Please read them now, and note that the very first guideline asks you to post a link to your problem page when asking a question. Thank you.

<edit>
    Did you google the exact message? https://www.google.com/search?q=Windows+Media+error+C00D11B1&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a Turns out that there are several sources for this error, precisely zero of which have anything to do with EW. Just sayin'...
    </edit>

cheers,

scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Edited by paladyn Tuesday, June 25, 2013 3:36 AM fuck you in the ass, unlubricated. I don't need to tell you a fucking thing.
    Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:52 AM
  • Sorry 'bout that ... I pursued the FAQ but obviously didn't see the point about code. This is the only part of the code that does not work.

+++++++++

<object id="media1" height="200" type="video/x-ms-wmv" width="200">
        <param name="filename" value="DOT%20videos/Data%20Modernization%20Overview.wmv" />
        <param name="currentMarker" value="1" />
        <param name="autoStart" value="0" />
        </object>

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;

<object id="media2" height="200" type="video/x-ms-wmv" width="200">
        <param name="filename" value="DOT%20videos/Prototype%20Process%20Highlights.wmv" />
        <param name="autoStart" value="0" />
        <param name="currentMarker" value="1" />
        </object>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </p>
        </td>

++++++++++ 

Yes ... I did Google the error message; and  worked my way through as many of the suggested "fixes" that were relevant. I don't have a game card on this machine, etc. ... which were some of the suggested problem areas.

This is pretty clearly either (a) in my code or (b) in some security toggle switch that I don't understand or haven't found yet -- or that would appear to be my guess.  The page displays correctly (except for black screen that should be displaying the first slide in the .wmv file) when called by the various browsers (I.E, Chrome, and Firefox). But when I click on the play button -- it immediately terminates (and when one asks the browser why, it returns that code above).  

The program(s) run(s) fine when I double-click it from the directory; or when I call it from the Windows Media.  I'm sure it's just my lack of experience with Expression Web.  My plan in the morning is to try to hard-code that page from scratch ... without using Expression Web.  Sort of defeats the purpose of Expression Web though, doesn't it?

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 4:37 AM
  • Post a link to your page.  There is nothing we can test from your written code - we don't have your video.

Also, you say you've "worked through the suggested fixes"  -  which ones?  We can't guess, and would simply be repeating the suggestions.  As Scott said, this is not an EW error.  All the links refer to errors with your video file, a sound device problem on your machine (which we could comment on if you post a  link, if, for example, it worked fine for us),  windows updates problems, links to fixes from Microsoft - and so on. 

I will point out that you should not use file names for the web that have spaces in them.  Rename your video file, put the corrected name in your code, and upload the renamed file.   I'm not saying that will solve your problem, but spaces in file names can cause problems under some circumstances.

• Edited by KathyW2 Tuesday, June 25, 2013 4:53 AM sfdsfdsfsd
    Tuesday, June 25, 2013 4:45 AM
  • Sorry to lead you down that path ...

When I posted the code snippet above to you ... I saw the coding error. I went back and fixed it ... and viola -- it's working. Not sure how the error occurred -- but the problem seems resolved.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 4:54 AM
  • Okay. For the benefit of people who come later with a similar problem, tell us EXACTLY what the problem was and EXACTLY how you fixed it.

Just saying you fixed it doesn't help anybody, and that's the purpose of a searchable forum.

Things Liberal Arts graduates never like to hear:
    “…which means you are going first in Double Jeopardy.”

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:29 PM