Problem building Lightswitch applications - SQLServer.Dac.Extensions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

At the moment I am unable to build or deploy any lightswitch projects. My builds always fail with the error: 

Error Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.Extensions, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

I am building on a brand new Windows 10 machine with Visual Studio 2015. I have also tried using my Windows 8.1 machine also running VS2015.

I can see the extension file on my machine here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\SQLDB\DAC\130

I am aware that this is version 14.0.0.0. Is there any way to get Lightswitch to use this version? - From my understanding version 12.0.0.0 was issued for VS2013 back in May 2014.

I am getting this problem with a project that I created in VS2013 and upgraded, and also in brand new projects I create in VS2015

Thanks in advance for any help / pointers anyone can give me

Regards

Chris

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 7:05 PM

Answers

• I've checked and there are no other references in the project.

I also created a new empty LS app and it won't build, erroring with the same exception, so it looks like an issue with both my machines where I had VS 2013 and also VS2015 installed.

I've built a new machine from scratch and only installed VS 2015 and everything seems to be working again, I am able to build and deploy my application.

Chris

• Proposed as answer by Angie Xu Friday, November 6, 2015 1:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Chris Whisker Friday, November 6, 2015 7:26 AM
    Monday, November 2, 2015 11:12 AM

All replies

• HI Chris,

According to your description, if you download and install the Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.dll from this site(http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=43370), whether it makes any difference.  

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, October 15, 2015 1:06 PM
  • Hi Angie,

When I try to run the installer I get the message: "A newer version of Microsoft SQL Server Data-Tier Application Framework is already installed"

I think on one machine I have the July 2015 version, and the other is running the September 2015 preview? 

Chris

Thursday, October 15, 2015 1:12 PM
  • HI Chris,

Please locate the <SupportedProducts> XML element and add version 14.0, and check whether it can fix it.
       <SupportedProducts>
         <VisualStudio Version="13.0">
           <Edition>VSLS</Edition>
         </VisualStudio>
         <VisualStudio Version="14.0">
           <Edition>VSLS</Edition>
         </VisualStudio>
       </SupportedProducts>

More information: Migration to VS 2015

Regards,

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 9:05 AM
  • Angie

I don't understand what you mean. The instructions you give are for updating a Visual Studio Extension, but the Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.dll  installer you link to is a .msi file, and can't be edited this way.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 10:12 AM
  • Hi Chris

In the solution explorer within VS open up the references folder within your application (screenshot is attached). In here find the reference to Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac. It should have a yellow ! sign next to it as it cannot find it. What you can then do is remove the reference to it and then add the reference back to the version that you do have by right clicking on References and then selecting Add reference. Then just navigate to the Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.dll file and Robert should be your fathers brother!!!!!

Solution explorer

If you found this post helpful, please mark it as helpful. If by some chance I answered the question, please mark the question as answered. That way you will help more people like me :)

• Proposed as answer by Angie Xu Sunday, November 1, 2015 2:41 PM
    Tuesday, October 27, 2015 12:08 PM
  • Hi Otis,

Interestingly.... When I looked at the referenced Dac extension it didn't have a yellow triangle, but the properties was showing it as version 14.0.0

When I remove it and look for it under the Assemblies (frameworks and extensions) lists, it is not there... I can browse to it on the hard drive and add the dll but still get the build error.

I've just tried repairing VS and it is still not present in the reference assemblies.. is there something missing?

I'm currently targeting .Net Framework 4.6 - I don't know if this will have any impact

Regards

Chris

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 12:48 PM
  • I would check the other references (HTML Client, Server) to make sure that it isn't being referred to elsewhere

If you found this post helpful, please mark it as helpful. If by some chance I answered the question, please mark the question as answered. That way you will help more people like me :)

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 1:44 PM
  • I've checked and there are no other references in the project.

I also created a new empty LS app and it won't build, erroring with the same exception, so it looks like an issue with both my machines where I had VS 2013 and also VS2015 installed.

I've built a new machine from scratch and only installed VS 2015 and everything seems to be working again, I am able to build and deploy my application.

Chris

• Proposed as answer by Angie Xu Friday, November 6, 2015 1:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Chris Whisker Friday, November 6, 2015 7:26 AM
    Monday, November 2, 2015 11:12 AM
  • I had exactly the same problem after setting up new Surface Book (Win 10) with SQL Server 2014, VS 2015 Community.  Just building the basic "Getting Started" app fails to run.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff852047.aspx

Monday, November 30, 2015 2:13 AM
  • I had the same problem and i could resolve it doing that:

1.- Installing last version SSDT

https://msdn.microsoft.com/es-es/library/mt204009.aspx

2.- Update Visual Studio 2015 Update 1

https://www.visualstudio.com/news/vs2015-update1-vs

3.- Restart Visual Studio 2015

4.- Open your Ligth Switch application in Visual Studio 2015

5.- After continue a message say you where you can download last version of SilverLight ( i don´t remember the url, but VS 2015 say you where it is)

6.- Download and install it

7.- Restart

I hope this help can you

Friday, December 4, 2015 5:33 PM