DWriteHelloWorld: Runtime Error - The Callee ... is not available...

Question

• I just downloaded the DWriteHelloWorld Sample and I seem to be getting the error:

"Unable to activate Windows Tailored application
    'dwritehelloworld_8wekyb3d8bbwe!DirectXApplication.App'.

The Callee (server [not server application]) is not available and disappeared; all connections are invalid.  The call did not execute."

at this location during runtime:
    DirectXBase.cpp: Line 117

DX::ThrowIfFailed(
            D3D11CreateDevice(
                nullptr,                    // specify null to use the default adapter
                D3D_DRIVER_TYPE_HARDWARE,
                nullptr,                    // leave as null if hardware is used
                creationFlags,              // optionally set debug and Direct2D compatibility flags
                featureLevels,
                ARRAYSIZE(featureLevels),
                D3D11_SDK_VERSION,          // always set this to D3D11_SDK_VERSION
                &device,
                &m_featureLevel,
                &context
                )
            );

The error occurs in both VS11 Ultimate Developer Preview and VS11 Express Developer Preview both of which are installed on top of Windows 8 Developer Preview (with developer tools)

Can someone help me work around this error?

Thanks,

Shawn

• Edited by Shawn Eary Saturday, September 24, 2011 1:01 PM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 12:57 PM

Answers

• Your sound card would not have an impact for this sample. But your GPU is the trouble marker here. The driver should be fine.

The problem is that your card supports feature level 9.3 but this sample requires feature level 10 to run in debug mode. But you can modify it a little bit to get it running.

Remove this:

#if defined(_DEBUG)

// If the project is in a debug build, enable debugging via SDK Layers with this flag.

creationFlags |= D3D11_CREATE_DEVICE_DEBUG;

#endif

And modify this

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL featureLevels[] = 

{

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_11_1,

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_11_0,

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_10_1,

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_10_0,

// Debug layers support for feature level 9 currently not available; will be enabled in a future release.

#if !defined(_DEBUG)

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_9_3,

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_9_2,

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_9_1

#endif

};

To this:

{

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_11_1,

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_11_0,

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_10_1,

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_10_0,

// Debug layers support for feature level 9 currently not available; will be enabled in a future release.

//#if !defined(_DEBUG)

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_9_3,

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_9_2,

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_9_1

//#endif

};

This should do the job.

• Marked as answer by Shawn Eary Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:48 AM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 5:17 PM

All replies

• This call tries to initializes the Direct3D 11 device. Therefore it might be a problem with your graphic hardware/driver. Do you know what graphics hardware is installed in your system?

Saturday, September 24, 2011 3:44 PM
  • This call tries to initializes the Direct3D 11 device. Therefore it might be a problem with your graphic hardware/driver. Do you know what graphics hardware is installed in your system?

The driver that is installed is: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS(Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.2)

I don't remember the exact card but I'm pretty sure it is either a 7300 or 7200.  Maybe I should check on the NVidia site for updated drivers.

Also, my sound card isn't supported in Windows 8.  Would that make a difference?

Saturday, September 24, 2011 4:10 PM
  • Your sound card would not have an impact for this sample. But your GPU is the trouble marker here. The driver should be fine.

The problem is that your card supports feature level 9.3 but this sample requires feature level 10 to run in debug mode. But you can modify it a little bit to get it running.

Remove this:

#if defined(_DEBUG)

// If the project is in a debug build, enable debugging via SDK Layers with this flag.

creationFlags |= D3D11_CREATE_DEVICE_DEBUG;

#endif

And modify this

{

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_11_1,

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_11_0,

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_10_1,

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_10_0,

#if !defined(_DEBUG)

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_9_3,

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_9_2,

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_9_1

#endif

};

To this:

{

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_11_1,

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_11_0,

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_10_1,

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_10_0,

//#if !defined(_DEBUG)

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_9_3,

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_9_2,

D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_9_1

//#endif

};

This should do the job.

• Marked as answer by Shawn Eary Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:48 AM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 5:17 PM

Remove this: ...

Mr. Kornmann:

You are crazy awesome.  Not only does the sample work after I apply your modifications, but now I have an excuse to buy a new video card :-)  !!!

With Much Thanks!!!

Shawn

• Edited by Shawn Eary Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:48 AM Corrected Formatting
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:47 AM