none
Contents of NK.BIN File - Subprojects included? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I am in the very early stages of learning development of WinCE 6.0 using Platform Builder and VS2005. I have a number of years of familiarity with Win32 programming under Visual Studio, but have only recently looked into WinCE development.

I have sucessfully built and run an OS image and a number of small apps described in the Adeneo WinCE 6.0 R3 lab manual.

My question has to do with when/if an app (helloworld.exe for instance) is loaded in the target via being bundled into the nk.bin file as opposed to being downloaded and run by the debugging system.

It was my understanding that by selecting Project - Properties - Configuration Properties - Subproject Image Settings - [ ] Exclude from image, I could choose if the app was to be excluded or included from the nk.bin file.

It would seem that regardless of the above settings, when I rebuild my solution and view the contents of the nk.bin file, I do not see my app included in the file listing.

This question came up when I was attempting to substitute a custom shell app (IESHELL.EXE) for explorer.exe per the lab manual.  When I rebuilt the BSP and subprojects and viewed the NK.BIN file, I noticed that neither the "LaunchXX/DependXX" registry settings, nor the IESHELL.EXE app would appear to be propagating into the nk.bin file regardless of the [ ] Exclude setting described above.

I see the same behavior when rebuilding the entire solution.

My Dev Gear Specs
    =================
    - VS2005 & Platform Builder WinCE 6.0 R3
    - Win7 64bit workstation OS
    - TI OMAP3 EVM target board
    - TI OMAP3 v6.14 (bsquare?) BSP

Thanks for your help.

Monday, January 3, 2011 7:18 PM

All replies

• Where do you have your registry settings and your bib file settings?  For this to work, they need to be in the subproject reg and bib files.
    Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com
    Monday, January 3, 2011 9:06 PM
  • Hi Bruce,

I entered the "LaunchXX/DependXX" registry settings in the subproject ISHELL.REG file.

I don't see any instructions about making changes to the subproject ISHELL.BIB file. Perhaps something needs to go there?

Monday, January 3, 2011 9:46 PM
  • No, you shouldn't need to make changes.  I was checking that you hadn't added the settings someplace else.

I have done this, but it has been awhile.  It does work.

Do you have QFEs (Platform Builder updates) installed?

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com
    Monday, January 3, 2011 10:01 PM
  • I have not installed any QFE's yet. I just recently installed the platform builder files up through CE 6 R3 and left it at that.

I ran the Platform builder CE Update check and got the response "No Platform Builder Installations found on this machine". This is pretty silly as I have been succesfully building OS images for several weeks now using this installation.

I even more suspicious now as I just ran across a note online that CE 6 Platform Builder may not be compatible with Win7 64 bit OS. I may try installing on another machine with different OS to see if things change.

Back to my original question for a moment... What settings control if a particular app is to be bult into the NK.BIN file as opposed to remaining on the dev PC to be downloaded by the debugger?

Thanks again for your help.

Monday, January 3, 2011 10:58 PM
  • The bib file. And if registry settings are needed for the app to launch,
    then the .reg file as well. If the lines in the bib file are not present
    or commented out, then the app will not be included in the image. If the
    reg settings are not present or commented out the app might not
    autostart or not start successfully.

For us to be able to help you more; give us more info like:

Where's your subproject located? What files are in that folder? What are
    the contents of the pbxml file? What are the contents of the .bib file? etc.

Good luck,

Michel Verhagen, eMVP
    Check out my blog: http://guruce.com/blog

GuruCE
    Microsoft Embedded Partner
    http://guruce.com
    Consultancy, training and development services.
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 1:20 AM
  • What method are you using to find out if the app is included in nk.bin or not?

To make sure it get's included, try editing your platform.bib in the FLATRELEASEDIR (FRD) and adding the app to the FILES section in platform.bib. Then make sure the app is in the FRD.

Then do a makeimg to get an nk.bin that includes your app.

Good luck,

Emeel Noohi

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 6:10 AM
  • The basic problem I had yesterday was that I could not get either my subproject exe nor the subproject's associated registry changes to be loaded into the NK.BIN file. I changed the Project - Properties - Configuration Properties - Subproject Image Settings - [ ] Exclude from image setting a number of times, rebuilt the image and was never able to verify that the exe or registry settings had been included.

The method I used to determine this was to simply open the rebuilt NK.BIN file within Visual Studio and then view the contents to see if my subproject exe or registry settings were included.

At one poster's suggestion I checked the QFE updates and found that the CE update facility would not function on my machine either. At this point I began to suspect my development system and after some searching online I determined the Win7 64bit OS that I was using was not a good candidate for this job.

This morning I swapped hard disks on my development system, installed Win7 32bit OS followed by installed VS2005, Platform Builder and the appropriate BSP's.

I have now repeated my tests from yesterday and the behavior now appears to be correct. In other words the state of the Project - Properties - Configuration Properties - Subproject Image Settings - [ ] Exclude from image switch determines if the subproject is to be loaded into the NK.BIN or not.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

• Proposed as answer by Misbah Khan Wednesday, January 5, 2011 9:20 AM
    Tuesday, January 4, 2011 11:31 PM