none
Hoax about LINQ to SQL RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am a MCT in Brazil and quite often while teaching the Entity Framework one of my students come with the following question: "Is that true that Microsoft plans to discontinue LINQ to SQL?" or any sort of combination between "Entity Framewor feature" + "Discontinued" word.

I do not know from where they got that, but I would like to have a sort of "official" answer on that to just slap on their faces ;)

Thanks,

Rogerio

Thursday, March 1, 2012 3:06 PM

Answers

• That one has been discussed in blogs, forums, and news for years now. If I were to pick a favorite "official statement" from the various statements made by MSFT and non-MSFT ppl on this topic is what Anders Hejlsberg said to Redmond Developer News when the debate was most heated: "LINQ to SQL is not dead. I can assure you, it is not dead. Nothing ever goes away. We have never done that and we never will".

(Quote from http://reddevnews.com/blogs/desmond-file/2008/12/digital-darwinism.aspx )

Cool tools for Linq-to-SQL and Entity Framework 4:
     huagati.com/dbmltools - Visual Studio add-in with loads of new features for the Entity Framework and Linq-to-SQL designers
     huagati.com/L2SProfiler - Runtime SQL query profiler for Linq-to-SQL and Entity Framework v4

Thursday, March 1, 2012 3:36 PM

All replies

• That one has been discussed in blogs, forums, and news for years now. If I were to pick a favorite "official statement" from the various statements made by MSFT and non-MSFT ppl on this topic is what Anders Hejlsberg said to Redmond Developer News when the debate was most heated: "LINQ to SQL is not dead. I can assure you, it is not dead. Nothing ever goes away. We have never done that and we never will".

(Quote from http://reddevnews.com/blogs/desmond-file/2008/12/digital-darwinism.aspx )

huagati.com/dbmltools - Visual Studio add-in with loads of new features for the Entity Framework and Linq-to-SQL designers
     huagati.com/L2SProfiler - Runtime SQL query profiler for Linq-to-SQL and Entity Framework v4

Thursday, March 1, 2012 3:36 PM
  • Hello Kristofer,

Thanks a lot for your answer. That is exactly the kind of answer that I was looking for!

I knew that it would not go away and I told my students more than once that it was just a silly hoax, but they prefer to believe on more "reliable" sources like someone's post in an obscure blog ;)

Cheers!

Rogerio

Thursday, March 1, 2012 3:43 PM
  • Of course "not going away" and "will continue to get development resources, attention, and priority" are two different things.
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 8:42 PM
  • Of course "not going away" and "will continue to get development resources, attention, and priority" are two different things.
    Good point, there will probably not be a lot done to L2S besides a few bugfixes in every release (there was a pile of fixes for it in .net FX 4.0, but don't know if there are any in 4.5 etc). However, the same goes for many other parts of .net too; when is the last time you saw a new feature in WinForms? If it is stable and mature enough for what it is intended to be used for, maybe it is a good thing that it is not under constant development/changes. Lots of namespaces and classes in the .net FX have reached a state where there is no need for active development...

Friday, March 2, 2012 1:03 AM
  • WRT the statement "Nothing ever goes away. We have never done that and never will.", MSFT has terminated support for many products (VFP) and features so nothing is ever sacred, but on a positive note, they do give you a few years heads up.  
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:42 PM