Moving ASP.net web form site ( .net 2.0) to new server without the source code RRS feed

• Question

• User-842817197 posted

I am a database developer who needs to move a web forms site from one server to another.  The previous developers did not leave me any source code.  Is there a process by which I can move the web site to a new server?

Thursday, May 21, 2020 2:43 PM

All replies

• User1535942433 posted

Hi RLoski,

Accroding to your description,could you tell us what you have currently?Do you have .dll file?

As far as I think,if you have .dll file,you could decompile .dll file by using .NET Reflector and then move to a new server.

Best regards,

Yijing Sun

Friday, May 22, 2020 9:14 AM
  • User-842817197 posted

Thank you for your reply.

There are a set of aspx files that are just shells, with just the text "This is a marker file generated by the precompilation tool, and should not be deleted!".  There is a web.config.

In the bin folder there are dll files and files with .compiled (frequently following ascx. followed by 8 characters).  There are a set of dll files that have name App_Web followed by underscore and 8 characters (all different).  I don't see a compiled file related to this file.  There are several dll files that start with Rad and end with Net2.  There are corresponding xml extension files where the string Telerik features prominently throughout the xml (I assume these are Telerik).

I think that I might be able to decompile the .dll, but I am not sure whether I can do anything with the Telerik components.  And I am not sure which App_Web file to work with.

Thanks again, I will see if I can make any progress with App_Code and App_Web.  Otherwise, I think they are going to have start from scratch.

Tuesday, May 26, 2020 5:58 PM
  • User1535942433 posted

Hi RLoski,

but I am not sure whether I can do anything with the Telerik components.

Accroding to your description,as far as I think,you could use a decompiling tool which name  is JustDecompile.

And I am not sure which App_Web file to work with.

As far as I think, "App_Web_ xxx.dll" The result of decompilation of this file is the aspx.cs file, and the pure cs file is in the App_code.dll file.Since you havn't content in aspx page,you need to restore each one.

More details,you could refer to below article:

https://www.infoq.com/news/2011/05/Telerik-JustDecompile/

Best regards,

Yijing Sun

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 8:17 AM