none
Unable to web publish to my Web App RRS feed

• Question

I  am no longer able to web publish to any web app in the West US location. I can deploy fine to other locations. I am getting different kinds of errors when trying to deploy, the most frequent ones are: Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentAgentUnavailableException: Could not complete the request to remote agent URL.

Thanks, 

@AzureSupport

Thursday, November 5, 2015 9:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Daniel,

I investigated and found the probable root of the problem: one of your slots (h*-staging) is apparently in a bad state, with the CPU spinning at 100%. This is affecting everything on the VM (you're on a small VM with single CPU), including your ability to publish. Your sites are likely running slower as well.

I suggest trying to restart the slot to start with. If that gets back into the same state, there is probably something wrong with the code in that slot that's causing it to spin non-stop. Taking a Process Dump might help.

thanks,
    David

Friday, November 6, 2015 2:07 AM

All replies

• Hi Daniel,

Can you give more details about how you are deploying? e.g. is this a .NET app deployed from Visual Studio using msdeploy?

Also, can you share your site name, either directly or indirectly? This will help us investigate.

Thanks,
    David

Thursday, November 5, 2015 9:42 PM
  • It's a ASP.NET MVC application and I am deploying using Octopus Deploy which internally uses the same mechanisms as web publish.

The setup has been working for the past weeks but now, all of a sudden, deployment no longer is possible.

Most of the time, I get one of these errors:

Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentAgentUnavailableException: Could not complete the request to remote agent URL 'https://xxx.scm.azurewebsites.net/msdeploy.axd?site=xxx'. ---> System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out

Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentDetailedException: Could not connect to the remote computer ("xxx.scm.azurewebsites.net") using the specified process ("Web Management Service") because the server did not respond. Make sure that the process ("Web Management Service") is started on the remote computer. Learn more at: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=221672#ERROR_COULD_NOT_CONNECT_TO_REMOTESVC. ---> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.

Thursday, November 5, 2015 10:11 PM
  • I am trying to deploy to the Web App starting with 'h' in the subscription with the web app dummy0511.

Also, when trying to publish directly from Visual Studio 2015, I am getting the same error when I click on "Validate Connection"

Thursday, November 5, 2015 10:19 PM
  • Thanks for the info. The Web App has multiple slots. Can you clarify to which one you are trying to deploy? Or is it directly to the production slot?

thanks,
    David

Thursday, November 5, 2015 11:30 PM
  • Both the web app itself (production) and the hotfix slots aren't working
    Friday, November 6, 2015 12:22 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

I investigated and found the probable root of the problem: one of your slots (h*-staging) is apparently in a bad state, with the CPU spinning at 100%. This is affecting everything on the VM (you're on a small VM with single CPU), including your ability to publish. Your sites are likely running slower as well.

I suggest trying to restart the slot to start with. If that gets back into the same state, there is probably something wrong with the code in that slot that's causing it to spin non-stop. Taking a Process Dump might help.

thanks,
    David

Friday, November 6, 2015 2:07 AM
  • Thanks for investigating this. I would agree that this is the cause of the problem. Unfortunately, I am not able to fix it.

portal.azure.com is no longer loading since this morning and on manage.windowsazure.com I am unable to stop that slot. It just says Failed to Stop web app 'h*(h*-staging)'

Any ideas how else I can stop that slot?

Friday, November 6, 2015 9:19 AM
  • OK, the portal finally started working again and I was able to stop the staging slot. I also had to stop the production slot, because it seemed as if something was blocking the folders on the disk as I was getting the following error during deployment: 

Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentException: (06.11.2015 10:44:20) An error occurred when the request was processed on the remote computer. ---> Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentException: An error was encountered when processing operation 'Delete Directory' on 'Jobs'.
    10:44:20
    Error
    ---> System.IO.IOException: I/O error occurred.

After stopping the slot, I was finally able to successfully deploy.

Thanks a lot for your help with this issue!

Daniel

Friday, November 6, 2015 9:58 AM
  • Great, glad that worked!
    Friday, November 6, 2015 3:54 PM
  • Hi David!

I'm experiencing same problem now also deploying from Octopus Deploy to Azure web app slot. Stopping slot is not a solution in our case because our deploy process includes deleting old deploy slot, creating new one and stopping it before every deploy.

Could you please check our issue?

(azuresupport.azurewebsites.net)

Thanks!

Monday, December 12, 2016 8:55 AM